PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to get picture section right in IE

deronsizemore
09-20-2006, 07:45 PM
My site again is www.kentuckygolfing.com

The "recent picture" section is causing me some problems in IE as you can see. The site is fine in FireFox as usual, but IE keeps adding extra phantom margin/padding that's causing the pictures to not be centered in the middle of the center column as you see it is in FF. For some reason, the margin on top of the images (space away from the h2 text "Recent Pictures") is different in IE than FF and so is the margin on the bottom of the images (space away from h2 text "Featured Course"). There is a wider gap on the bottom of the images in IE than FF. Last but not least, because the margin's are messed up in IE, it pushed the nav menu down below the main content area on the left. When you view the site, I've used some separate IE only conditionals in the header. I can normally play with these separate styles to get it to look how I want in IE, but I can't seem to work this one out. I had a few negative margins and what not in the IE conditionals code, but didn't know if that was "good" code or not, I took all the IE conditionals in the head completely out because they were doing nothing but making things worse, so the only styles that the images currently have are at the very bottom of the CSS file, the styles are ul.wet_thumbfilter and ul.wet_thumbfilter li (sorry I know it's a mess right now, I'm still working on cleaning it up).

If anyone could help me get this section to look in IE like it does in FF, I'd appreciate it.

deronsizemore
09-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Okay, I've played around with it some more and the menu is no longer mucked up in IE, but there are still some padding/margin issues in between FF and IE and I know it's just my lack of knowledge, but in my searches I can't seem to find much relivent to my needs.

If it helps, this is the look I'm going for: www.kentuckygolfing.com/images/example.jpg

I want the spacing on the "recent pictures" images to look like (or as close as possible) to the image above. Seems that I can't get the left and right margin's correct. It's either really messed up where it has to much margins and messes the navigation menu up or there is not enough (like you see on the live page currently) and there is to much space on the left and right of the unordered list. I'd like to have the left and right margin's of the unordered list to set flush in line with the "recent pictures" bottom grey border...but as you can see now they sit slightly inside it.

Johnny Gulag
09-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Hello

They seem to look the same in both IE and FF here, am I missing something. :)

deronsizemore
09-21-2006, 10:49 AM
No you're not missing anything...they do *look* close and it's probably good enough for no one to even notice the difference, but there are some slight padding margin issues on the "recent pictures" section that just drive me insaine until I get them right. lol.

I think I might have figured it out though....

deronsizemore
09-21-2006, 12:18 PM
I got it finally.

It looks exactly the same in IE6 as it does in FF! VICTORY! lol.

I had to use a couple negative margin IE 6 conditionals to make it display right...do you think this is wise? As do you see anything wrong with negative margins? I don't know much about them and how to properly use them...