PDA

View Full Version : Carbonite

Todd W
09-17-2006, 04:39 PM
So I signed up for www.carbonite.com after reading some great reviews... and selected to do manual selection of which directories/files get backed up.

Worked fine for a few days then my computer rebooted by itself for updates while I was on vacation. Turns out carbonite re-did it's configuration I set and started backing up EVERYTHING for eac "user" account, AND every harddrive on my system.

I come home today and my entire desktop is almost backed up as long as every other user accuont (2) on my system! The funny thing is I was not even logged into windows! The carbonite system was uploading while it was at the "Login Prompt"!!!!!!!!

I chose not to backup "private" information as well as my personal photos... now they are ALL backed up on some remote server because carbonite screwed up.

Do I have a case against them for taking my private information w/out my consent?

This really pisses me off :flare:

AmbulanceBlues
09-17-2006, 05:40 PM
I would think there would be come sort of disclaimer in their TOS. Usually something about "no warranty, express or implied". Even if there's nothing like that I don't see how you could prove you had actual damages, which I think you have to have to make a case.

Thanks for the warning to never ever ever use carbonite, though.

Todd W
09-17-2006, 09:03 PM
I was able to remove all my files from their system through "my computer" and re-configure the backup myself.

I'm giving them one more shot and if it happens again i'm requesting a refund. (Had to pay for a year in advance.)

I just saw this blog about it too. (http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/09/17/the-carbonite-solution-to-online-backups/)