PDA

View Full Version : Does a poor mans copywrite still works

gift19972
09-15-2006, 06:32 AM
I dont have a lot of money so a friend told me how to do a poor mans copywrite. He told me to fininsh my work and to burn it on to a cd he then said to mail it to my self five times with so that each a new envelope has the post office stamp.

I just want to know if this is legal and if the courts reconized this method of copy write.

Thank you for your help in advance.

deronsizemore
09-15-2006, 07:41 AM
It's my understanding that once the site is designed by you, you own the copyright to the design. I can't imagine why you would need to mail something to yourself 5 times.

Blue Cat Buxton
09-15-2006, 08:22 AM
can or can't, Deron?

deronsizemore
09-15-2006, 08:39 AM
can or can't, Deron?

can't, sorry

Johnny Gulag
09-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Hello

I found this:
I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

I found the info here: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#poorman

Chris
09-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Usually called a "poor man's patent" because copyright is automatic upon creation I think.

Anyways, it doesn't work because you could just mail an unsealed envelope to yourself, then seal it later.

demosfen
09-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Anyways, it doesn't work because you could just mail an unsealed envelope to yourself, then seal it later.

Write a sworn statement stating that you created this design, write 'Affidavit' on top, sign on the bottom, and attach design printout(s) to it. Then have it notarized. The notary seal includes date, so there is going to be no doubt when this statement was written. And at $2 per seal (in my area, at least), you can have every page notarized if you want hard evidence.

gift19972
09-16-2006, 04:13 PM
to clearify each time you mail it to your selfyou put it in a different envelope.and they would have the date of each time you mail it to yourself. so it is in decending order.

Cutter
09-16-2006, 07:27 PM
mail it to yourself, burn it to a CD, all of that is bogus. When you create something you automatically have some copyright ownership. The reason to register the copyright (which costs about $30) it basically makes it easier to get damages from infringers.