PDA

View Full Version : Forum Software

N_Jay
09-13-2006, 12:25 PM
I see this site is running vBulletin.
That is what my site currently runs.

My developer is suggesting Invision.

Who knows both and can comment on the pros and cons in general?

Also, is there a significant security difference?

Thanks in advance

Chris
09-13-2006, 03:05 PM
I've never heard of someone moving from VB to something else.

Emancipator
09-13-2006, 03:07 PM
punbb. I am moving from VB to it. VB is great, but PUNBB from a developers standpoint is truly amazing.

Kyle
09-13-2006, 03:08 PM
I've heard positive things about both.. but I think it's crazy to go through the trouble of moving from vbulletin TO invision.

This would make sense if you were currently using phpbb, and your developer wanted you to move to invision.

KelliShaver
09-13-2006, 06:38 PM
I much prefer vBulletin to Invision. For lightweight forum packages, though, yes, PunBB is my current fav (Beast looks really promising, though, if they keep developing it).

Emancipator
09-13-2006, 07:18 PM
got a link to beast? punbb is truly fantastic for codemonkeys since you can do so much since their API is so well put together.

KelliShaver
09-13-2006, 07:43 PM
http://www.rubyinside.com/beast-an-open-source-rails-forum-in-500-lines-of-code-191.html

At this point, it's nowhere near what PunBB offers, but it's a great beginning, for what it is. I'd love to see 'em continue the project.

Todd W
09-13-2006, 10:11 PM
I went from Invision to VB and no lookin back!

Masetek
09-14-2006, 02:54 AM
What is the reason for the move?

Chris
09-14-2006, 06:48 AM
got a link to beast? punbb is truly fantastic for codemonkeys since you can do so much since their API is so well put together.
Have you seen the new vb 3.5+ api? It makes doing hacks/plugins much simpler. Most installs are like one click too.

N_Jay
09-14-2006, 06:56 AM
What is the reason for the move?

1) my developer is more familiar with it. (a so-so reason)

2) He thinks it is better written, security wise (Looking for agreement or disagreement here)

3) I would like better security (IP logging, IP restriction on log-in, not just registration) for a new forum (Needs to be private)

Emancipator
09-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Yeah chris I have. It still cant touch punbb. Punbb has much less features but the way it is desined you can code things for it in no time. I built a myspace script for punbb in about 2hours. Plus updating the look and feel of punbb vs vbulletin is seconds vs minutes.

VB is good it has its merits but punbb is better for me.

KelliShaver
09-14-2006, 01:26 PM
If you really need a full featured, heavy weight forum, I think vB is the best way to go. If you don't and want to go with something light, currently, nothing beats punBB.

Emancipator
09-14-2006, 08:04 PM
i think the key thing with vb, is something light that a programmer can totally re-invent in a couple hours into a totally different animal.

If your doing niche sites and want something unique punbb is a great start.

Cutter
09-16-2006, 07:30 PM
vB to Invision; thats like going from BMW to rickshaw.

agua
09-17-2006, 01:56 AM
A rickshaw may get you from A to B much faster than a BMW in some cities... London springs to mind

Its probably changed since the last time I was there - but thought this was worth pointing out ;)

webcs
10-03-2006, 09:10 AM
I see this site is running vBulletin.
That is what my site currently runs.

My developer is suggesting Invision.

Who knows both and can comment on the pros and cons in general?

Also, is there a significant security difference?

Thanks in advance

Well they are both pretty secure but its all a matter of how much time you invest in one. Definitely the time invested in changing over would be better spent securing what you have, because they can both be secured effectively.

Will

faital
10-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,