PDA

View Full Version : Can decide what to do for section of site

deronsizemore
09-08-2006, 11:54 AM
On my golf site, I'm going to have a section called "instruction" where I'll post tips on all aspects of the game. I'm wondering though, should I go with a blog type layout where tips are posted in a blog/article format, or do you think something like this: http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=32000&dv=4495819&select=51 would be better? I'm thinking the latter. Just wanted to get suggestions.

Thanks

Emancipator
09-08-2006, 06:50 PM
set it up so you can try both. What they hae on that link is super simple to code so you could do it blog, or categorized, or even both.

deronsizemore
09-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Yeah I never thought about that. I could maybe do something where the homepage for instruction would look like the link, and then when a visitor clicked on say "grip" it would take them to a blog like section for the golf grip.

Emancipator
09-09-2006, 07:53 AM
what they have on that page is just articles or blog entries with categories set. With cats set you can layout your frontpage in almost any format.

deronsizemore
09-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the idea! I'll just have to figure out how to do it with TextPattern now. I'm sure it's easy. Gotta be a way to list articles by category but limit it to the "instruction" section so that it doesn't display all cateogories for the rest of the site.

Emancipator
09-09-2006, 04:35 PM
do you have any php experience? My suggestion write your own blog system. Wouldnt take you long to do it. I wrote my "Manly Man" blog system in a few hours. (www.avixion.ca). The big advantage is you can update it anytime really easy since you know ever piece of code.

deronsizemore
09-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Na, I can't code at all. I know xhtml/css and that's it. lol. I wish I could code, but I have to many ideas I want to get going and not enough time to sit and learn php or any other language.

Emancipator
09-09-2006, 06:15 PM
php is actually a very easy language to learn. To do a basic blog is pretty fool proof. I should know I am a fool :)