http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20364454-5001021,00.html

I'd be nervous living with them.

chromate
09-09-2006, 05:46 AM
WTF?! gobsmacked! :)

agua
09-09-2006, 05:02 PM
That doesn't look real!!!!

We got a Carpet Python (http://www.aguawebs.com/bits/snake1.jpg) which lives down the side of our house (I think most people here do... not sure though) - the big difference though is that ours is just under 3 metres long and not very wide... Its still pretty impressive though when it eats something (http://www.aguawebs.com/bits/snake2.jpg) :)

I know one thing though - if I had a 6 metre Python living down the side of my house which eats pregnant sheep - I wouldn't be living there for much longer :D

chromate
09-10-2006, 04:24 AM
wow amazing pics agua. I have to say, I'm glad we don't have to deal with anything like that in the UK! :)

I can't see how it would be possible for a python to swallow a sheep. I mean, how would it go about it? Start on a leg and slowly suck it in? :) But I do know they can eat large animals and I remember being surprised before. Just don't know how they go about it.

Masetek
09-10-2006, 10:48 PM
When I was at Australia Zoo I saw a massive python (I dont know how long exactly) eat a about a 1/4 of a fully grown sheep...pretty crazy stuff. An there was an anaconda there that had eaten a sheep the previous week and you ould still see the massive lump near its tail

Blue Cat Buxton
09-11-2006, 01:29 AM
It amazes me how calmly you say "lives down the side of our house"

agua
09-11-2006, 06:54 PM
It amazes me how calmly you say "lives down the side of our house"nm... Its more of a "who's going to move it?"

Nah - seriously Carpet Pythons are harmless - all it does is sits there in the sun all day and slides back into its home at night.

It keeps the local rodent population down - so its win win for everybody :)

Blue Cat Buxton
09-12-2006, 01:11 AM
seriously Carpet Pythons are harmless - all it does is sits there in the sun all day and slides back into its home at night.

It keeps the local rodent population down

Ahh like our cat then :)

chromate
09-12-2006, 04:58 AM
lol .. sounds cute :)

Doug
09-13-2006, 02:08 PM
I heard that apparently in some places in the amazon people are used as bait for the snakes. They grease up their legs, then when the snake comes to eat them the other tribe members pull the person out (im pretty sure most pythons don't have teeth) and kill the snake for food. Not sure if it's true though.

AmbulanceBlues
09-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Ahh like our cat then :)

Doesn't it keep the cat population down as well? And small dogs, and chickens, etc...

Todd W
09-14-2006, 10:53 AM
I heard that apparently in some places in the amazon people are used as bait for the snakes. They grease up their legs, then when the snake comes to eat them the other tribe members pull the person out (im pretty sure most pythons don't have teeth) and kill the snake for food. Not sure if it's true though.

Find out for us and make a site about it... sounds viral!

fumbler
09-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Thought an "ewe" was in order ;)