PDA

View Full Version : PHPBB...Kinda worried about Being Hacked

aeroguy
08-26-2006, 09:45 PM
For all you phpbb messageboard owners, how do you keep yourself from being hacked? My current budget doesnt allow me to get VB and since now invinsion is the same price as VB thats out of the picture.

Sagewing
08-26-2006, 10:51 PM
When a new update happens, apply it immediately. That's been enough for me for a long time.

Chris
08-27-2006, 04:03 AM
Certainly, but you're right to be worried. I've never had a vbulletin board hacked, but every phpbb I've ever run was hacked at one time or another.

deronsizemore
08-27-2006, 04:28 AM
For all you phpbb messageboard owners, how do you keep yourself from being hacked? My current budget doesnt allow me to get VB and since now invinsion is the same price as VB thats out of the picture.

If you like VB but don't want to pay for the license, try www.mybboard.com. I'm setting up a forum with it now and it seems promising.

Emancipator
08-27-2006, 08:56 AM
yeah dont use phpbb. Period! I got hacked on every site I used it on. I now use Punbb and can not praise it enough. I am building a completely custom CMS with it for www.ultimate-fighter.ca It is a great board that you can mod very very easily if your a programmer.

deronsizemore
08-28-2006, 08:34 AM
yeah dont use phpbb. Period! I got hacked on every site I used it on. I now use Punbb and can not praise it enough. I am building a completely custom CMS with it for www.ultimate-fighter.ca It is a great board that you can mod very very easily if your a programmer.

Agree. I tried PunBB, but since I'm not a programmer I was struggling to customize most everything with it. It is every good though.

Emancipator
08-28-2006, 09:24 AM
if you are into php programming punbb really has limitless potential. Its designed modular so you can add to it without the headaches you get with vbulletin or phpbb.

webcs
10-03-2006, 09:19 AM

Best advise here, if you are doing updates or even if you make your phpBB with solid granite, the possibility of being hacked is still there, then it is possible for VB too.

Invest some time in making sure you have a stream of working accounts backups and test that they are easily recoverable. That way if you are hacked you just revert and go from there. The best offense is a good defense with phpBB.