PDA

View Full Version : Really need to relist your navigation links in the footer?

deronsizemore
08-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I know everyone always says to have your navigation links again down in your footer or at the bottom of the page, but how many of you really do this and what are you thoughts on either doing it or not doing it? Do you do it sometimes and not others depending on layout?

Thoughts?

Johnny Gulag
08-19-2006, 01:07 PM
I seldom add the exact same links at the bottom. I may add a link to the home and the contact pages again, but generally I use the footer for links to pages that I do not necessarily want in the main navigation. Such as FAQ, Terms, Sitemap and so on.

I may be wrong but I am assuming that alot of sites do this because they have images for the main nav links, so at the bottom they link to the same pages with plain text links so as to serve them to SE's better.

deronsizemore
08-19-2006, 05:56 PM
I seldom add the exact same links at the bottom. I may add a link to the home and the contact pages again, but generally I use the footer for links to pages that I do not necessarily want in the main navigation. Such as FAQ, Terms, Sitemap and so on.

I may be wrong but I am assuming that alot of sites do this because they have images for the main nav links, so at the bottom they link to the same pages with plain text links so as to serve them to SE's better.

Yeah, that's probably a good guess. I might do what you do and see how it goes. Maybe put the contact, etc, down there.

Thank

chromate
08-20-2006, 04:23 AM
I only put "contact us" / "privacy policy" type links in the footer. Unless your site is really badly designed, I don't see much point in repeating the navigation links in the footer.

Cutter
08-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Who says this? I occasionally put navigation in the footer to improve Adsense CTR, but otherwise its on the far left or right columns.

Chris
08-20-2006, 09:49 AM
I put links in the footer only if the main site navigation is graphical or flash in nature.

deronsizemore
08-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Who says this? I occasionally put navigation in the footer to improve Adsense CTR, but otherwise its on the far left or right columns.

"they", that's who. lol. I don't know exactly, just thought that's what I've always heard.

James
08-21-2006, 05:33 PM
I'd only do that were the page excessively long--which would only result from someone else writing it, because I believe in splitting long articles into sections and linking to the individual pages, like the index of a book.

A.N.Onym
08-28-2006, 04:48 AM
Placing links in the footer only makes sense if your pages are long enough to warrant scrolling. So they simply allow visitors navigate on your site without scrolling.

It is a rumour that having keywords also at the bottom of the page helps, but it may be the case that just having more keywords on the page helps.