PDA

View Full Version : Trade marks and registered marks

izwar
08-17-2006, 10:14 PM
I am a little bit confused with something. First off one cannot register common words correct for example something random SIN you cannot register that and make it your copmany name correct? second if i started a company around the word sin lets say i call it SIN GALLERY which would sell shoes, can i market the shoe line as SIN and put SIN in all graphics and what not or do you always have to refer to it as SIN GALLERY.

Chris
08-18-2006, 06:21 AM
Depends if someone already uses the word SIN as a retail store or perhaps clothing manufacturer.

demosfen
08-18-2006, 07:53 AM
First off one cannot register common words correct for example something random SIN you cannot register that and make it your copmany name correct?
There are companies whose name is a common word, like Apple for example. It all comes down to whether you are profitting off somebody else's trademark. I think you can search trademarks on the Patent office website

izwar
08-18-2006, 09:18 AM
right, i did a search for the word sin and strangley i didnt see a register or trade mark for the word by itself only things like Sincity, 7 deadly sins and it strikes me as strange as its such a common word.

My next question is if its trademarked with a company, but that company is in a complete different business such as cars and i woudl like to use the same but for clothing would that be acceptable?

demosfen
08-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Yes that should be fine

izwar
08-18-2006, 10:55 AM
so then can i trademark it but for my sector or how would that work

demosfen
08-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Yes I think that's how it works, you trademark it for specific industry