PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Buying Advice/Help + Windows Vista

agua
08-11-2006, 10:09 PM
OK - I'm looking to buy 2 laptops, one for my daughter and one for my other half. The only real specification is the need to be able to go wireless.

The main uses will be internet browsing, word, excel, MSN (+ other im's) and occassionally some photoshop work (very rare).

I found an entry level laptop for A$999 which was wireless compatable in a local store. I got talking to the sales guy about it. He proceeded to tell me that it was pointless buying this laptop because in November windows will be releasing their new Vista system and the laptop I was looking at wouldn't be able to run it, he went as far as saying the model would be obsolete in a few months and useless.

He then showed me a model which could run Windows Vista - and the price tag was over double - this was the entry level I needed he said.

Now - is this man talking pants - or is this something I should be taking note of bearing in mind what the laptops will be used for?

Chris
08-12-2006, 01:33 PM
What a load of crap.

1. Why would you even need to run Windows Vista?

2. You can always upgrade, I put Windows 2000 on a machine that originally ran 98. Its no big deal.

Really though, its not like Vista documents will be incompatible with XP documents, you can run your laptop, with XP, on it for years, and you'll be fine.

As far as wireless connectivity goes, one thing I recommend is the Intel Pentium M processor & chipset. The battery life savings it affords is great. If you get a second battery you can get up to 10 hours of battery life total, thats sweet.

Todd W
08-12-2006, 01:41 PM
What a load of crap.

1. Why would you even need to run Windows Vista?

2. You can always upgrade, I put Windows 2000 on a machine that originally ran 98. Its no big deal.

Really though, its not like Vista documents will be incompatible with XP documents, you can run your laptop, with XP, on it for years, and you'll be fine.

As far as wireless connectivity goes, one thing I recommend is the Intel Pentium M processor & chipset. The battery life savings it affords is great. If you get a second battery you can get up to 10 hours of battery life total, thats sweet.

I agree the pentium M is awesome!

I HATED having a P4 in my laptop it was dead in under an HOUR it sucked and got way to hot. The pentium M barely heats up on my leg and lasts for what seems like forever.

Emancipator
08-12-2006, 02:02 PM
I have an intel M its a nice chip. With good ram you can run a ton of things. I use dreamweaver, flash 8 and photoshop cs all at once without any real trouble.

agua
08-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the info - I've used macs all my life and couldn't believe what he was saying - but thought I'd better double check because it didn't sound right to me.

Non of my short list have the IntelŪ PentiumŪ M processor - but I have just found one that does :thumbs_up

Thanks heaps

Chris
08-12-2006, 07:34 PM
If it is "Centrino" it is pentium M btw.

agua
08-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks Chris - I didn't know that - which means there was one on my original short list :)