PDA

View Full Version : Stay on my reseller hosting or move to shared?

deronsizemore
08-11-2006, 09:09 AM
I originally was on shared, then moved to a reseller when I thought I wanted to design sites for others for a living, with the thinking I could just use my reseller account to host their sites and they pay me to host them. Anyway, I've kinda got away from designing others' sites and want to concentrate on my own now, but I don't really think I need a reseller account.

I was looking at Site5.com and they have some great plans there. I was looking at the "Gold" shared plan with the unlimited domain pointers. I'm wondering about the domain points and SEO. The way I understand it is that you just create another directory in your root directory of your main site, and then the domain is pointed to the directory (although visitors wont be able to see that it's just another directory in your main site). Seems it might create some kind of SEO problem, with spyders thinking they are all the same sites? Or not?

I don't really want to sign up for a separate account for each of my sites either, so in that respect, I'm thinking about staying with the reseller.

Thoughts anyone?

Emancipator
08-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Nexcess hosting. look up on google. notice I am not sticking in an affiliate id or anything :) I use em, I reccomeded em to Westech and many others with big sites and big demands. the company is a bad *** host that delivers! Tech support when you need it, no excuses, and great product and service.

deronsizemore
08-11-2006, 10:46 AM
I will check them out, but they might be overkill for what I need currently. I've only got one site online but hasnt' been updated forever because it was my "portfolio" or lack there of when I wanted to design sites for others...now that I'm doing my own thing I don't need the portfolio so I've let it go. So we could more or less just say I've got no sites online currently...now down the road, maybe I could look into some power hosting like that.

Emancipator
08-11-2006, 12:42 PM
sorry i thought you were after a server, but they do have regular hosting as well. A celeron server with them is somehwere in the range of $100. I am myself on a dual xeon. Not cheap but does the job nicely.

charlesgan
01-13-2007, 10:29 AM
become reseller, you need to provide support to ur customer as well. you are a designer, probably you need to do assesment on the technical requirement in short future.

i suggest you signup affiliate and provide frm their signup is much better than reseller. reseller, you need to pay month fee. not cheap as well. unless you looking at big customer groups. then you will profit in long term. nice income.

ramprage
01-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Be careful, many providers won't let you downgrade from a reseller service to a shared service or won't help you migrate the accounts. Generally this is because the software is not compatible and creates a huge mess because the backend of how Shared and reseller works is very different.

Reseller - each account should be completely separate.
Shared - each account is mangled into your main account

At least with cPanel this is the case.

deronsizemore
01-18-2007, 01:36 PM
For anyone interested I made the move to shared from reseller finally. I moved to www.asmallorange.com

They seem to run a pretty tight ship from what I've read plus I like the fact that they don't oversell their plans so I know I'm getting what they say I'm getting (even if I don't use it).

Thanks

deronsizemore
04-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Don't forget to keep us updated.

Good call. Well here's the update. I've been with ASO now for I guess around 5 months and thus far they are the best host I've been with (been with two others). Thus far I've not had any downtime and their support is out of this world. Every time I've had a support request, if I couldn't chat with someone live, I just dropped them an email and to my surprise, I had an answer and a resolution in about five minutes. I've contacted support five times so far, just for little stuff (like the billing section not recognizing my user/pass). I'm very happy so far!

deronsizemore
05-03-2007, 05:41 AM
deronsizemore, would you like to show your site plz?

Stay tuned...I've been working on two recently and one if all but finished and the second has a little more work but also is almost finished. I'll be putting one in my signature sometime, so you'll see it there soon.