PDA

View Full Version : Why does the useragent Java always request the file "/|.txt"?

KLB
08-04-2006, 06:06 AM
I'm constantly finding 404 errors the useragent Java requesting the file "/|.txt" Why does it request this file?

Chris
08-04-2006, 06:15 AM
Could just be someone's custom site ripper and a bug with it.

KLB
08-04-2006, 06:21 AM
That's what I was thinking, but I'm finding it coming from all kinds of IPs. Before I set my site to start banning those IPs I want to make sure it isn't something innocent.

Chris
08-04-2006, 07:06 AM
You should check the locations of those IPs and see if there is anything that stands out.

I rarely get a user agent of Java accessing my sites so I think it has to be something more specific to your site.

KLB
08-04-2006, 07:33 AM
I regularly see Java user agents requesting pages and they almost always fall into my bad bot trap. Today I have already had 17 Java UA's fall into my bad bot trap. They almost always request 12 files and then go on their merry way. I have my trap set to lock them out on the 15th request. I have always assumed that at least some of these requests are coming from Java based PDAs/cell phones.

Nothing about the IPs has stood out to me thus far. With other simular behaviors I usually find a fair percentage of the IPs showing up on spam blacklists.