PDA

View Full Version : Blog script recommendation

Westech
07-30-2006, 01:33 PM
I want to set up a blog to post baby news, pictures, and videos, and I know next to nothing about the various blog scripts that are out there. Can anyone recommend a script that:

-- allows posting of pictures and embedded videos within a post

-- Is as easy as possible to navigate for non-technical visitors, some of whom almost never use a computer

-- Is very easy to post articles to (so my relatively non-technical wife can post pics and videos without too much trouble)

-- Allows visitors to comment without registering, but provides CAPTCHA verification

Thanks!

Chris
07-30-2006, 01:56 PM
I know wordpress does 2-4, I'm not sure about #1 since I've never tried it.

KelliShaver
07-30-2006, 03:08 PM
WordPress with the ImageManager plugin will take care of most everything you need there, not sure about video, but there's bound to be a plugin to handle it. check wp-plugins.net for those.

MarkB
07-30-2006, 10:29 PM
There's a plugin for posting flash (so flash video would be ok), however you can post anything IF you turn off the WYSIWYG editor, as this mangles flash HTML etc.

Westech
07-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks, Everyone. I'm actually hoping to post with embedded .mpg or .avi video clips.

Mark, if I'm understanding you correctly, you mean that with Wordpress I can upload a video myself and then manually type in the html code to embed it within my post? That'll work for me, but it would scare my wife to death, so she'd never post anything! :)

Anyone have any suggestions for a system that allows easy uploading and embedding of various video types? If not, I'll start trying out some stuff from wp-plugins.net .

Johnny Gulag
07-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Hello

IMO Wordpress is gonna be the best bet.

Text Pattern and Movable Type are also good, though I do not have as much experience with them as I do with WP.

Yes you can type in the html to embed anything you want into a post, though like mentioned above disable the WYSIWYG editor and make sure to use an absolute path to the uploaded file.

As far as your wife posting goes, maybe you can create and save the necessary html in a file on your comp and all she has to do is copy/paste and change the filename and width/height...

Plugins:
http://wp-plugins.net/author/fallen/
http://www.lynk.de/wordpress/videopop/ - popup window videos