PDA

View Full Version : Am I just gonna have to live with the differences?

deronsizemore
07-28-2006, 05:45 AM
I have site I'm working on at www.deronsizemore.com/test

FF is displaying it correctly right now. IE 6 displays the list items (eg: right nav menu, and "recent forum posts") differently than FF. In IE 6 there is slightly more width between each link vertically than there is in FF. FF they are closer together. IE6 the difference isn't major and I can live with it, but recently checked it in IE7 and it's a major difference and I can't live with it. I know its still in Beta, so should I not be concerned with it yet? Or should I start working on a work around? I already am using a work around for IE6 (because this same problem happened originally in IE6 but with the help of a few people we got it fixed).

Chris
07-28-2006, 05:50 AM
GRRR... this is why I hate CSS.... I get into situations like this and say ****it, I'm using tables.

deronsizemore
07-28-2006, 06:27 AM
GRRR... this is why I hate CSS.... I get into situations like this and say ****it, I'm using tables.

Well that's one thing I can't do. I tried to start using tables when I got into designing and I just had the hardest time figuring them out, but with CSS, I caught on pretty quick. I honestly don't know if I could design a site with tables. lol.

I'm hoping that this is just an IE7 thing and that's it nothing to worry about. One good thing that that majority of the people that would be visiting my site probably aren't tech type people, so they will still be using IE 5 or something so I'll be fine. lol.

I just wish Microsoft would remove their head from their ***. The whole standards compliant thing doesn't seem like it would be that hard to accomplish. I mean, they have some of the best engineers in the world working there, but they can't make a browser that renders things like they should?

Chris
07-28-2006, 07:16 AM
I can't stand how pixels are different sizes depending on which browser you talk to.

deronsizemore
07-28-2006, 07:22 AM
I can't stand how pixels are different sizes depending on which browser you talk to.

Exactly. You'd think that 1px would be 1px whether you were looking at FF, IE, Safari, or whatever.

Emancipator
07-28-2006, 08:54 AM
exactly why i use tables I also absolutely hate it.

KelliShaver
07-30-2006, 11:19 AM
#right-content ul li a {
display: block;
padding: 2px;
text-decoration: none;
}

That's what's doing it. It's a block element without a height defined and both browsers have different defaults. Just specify a height.

deronsizemore
07-30-2006, 12:42 PM
#right-content ul li a {
display: block;
padding: 2px;
text-decoration: none;
}

That's what's doing it. It's a block element without a height defined and both browsers have different defaults. Just specify a height.

Cool thanks! I'll give it a try. I actually posted this over at SP also, and was given this response:

ie 7 doesn't (and won't) apply the star hack thus
remove
/* Hides from IE-mac \*/
* html #right-content ul li{height: 1%;}
/* End hide from IE-mac */
from the stylesheet and add

in your html, before the </head> add
<!--[if lte IE 7]>
<style type="text/css">
#right-content ul li{height:1%;}
</style>
<![endif]-->

What do you think about that fix? I was thinking to stear clear because of the conditional statement, and obviously your fix is easier.

PS: What did you think about that idea I have? Sound like something you might want to work on? Or maybe you didn't even get my second email?

Thanks

KelliShaver
07-30-2006, 03:07 PM
I see nothing wrong with using conditionals where needed. I'd probalby use htem before more obtrusive hacks. That said, it's rare that I use either, but then again, i don't really test for IE7 compatability yet.

Also, in answer to your question, yes, I got it LOL and I think there's some good potential there (though I'm surprised that such a thing can be done) I just don't have time to do anything right now. :(

deronsizemore
07-30-2006, 04:47 PM
I see nothing wrong with using conditionals where needed. I'd probalby use htem before more obtrusive hacks. That said, it's rare that I use either, but then again, i don't really test for IE7 compatability yet.

Ah, I got ya. Thanks for the fix. I guess it would be dumb to use conditionals when there is such an easy fix as adding a height.

Also, in answer to your question, yes, I got it LOL and I think there's some good potential there (though I'm surprised that such a thing can be done) I just don't have time to do anything right now. :(

Oh, no problem at all. With this golf site I'm working on, I dont' have time either. I think it's got potential though and want to do it sometime. Once everything is set up, there would be little or no work at all. It would basically run itself.