PDA

View Full Version : upgrade to vb3.5

Chris
07-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Forum has been upgraded. Let me know if you notice anything awry.

stymiee
07-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Testing quick reply.

Edit: Hmmmm, I wonder if my page is cached.

Edit 2: There we go!

Mike
07-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Ah, I like this quick reply business :)

izwar
07-12-2006, 02:41 PM
test

KLB
07-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Now I hate to be a spoiled sport, but you do realize that v3.6 is currently in beta with the final release being just around the corner?

Anyways, it's good to see the update. v3.5 does provide a significant update to the previous version.

Chris
07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
I imagine the vb 3.6 upgrade won't be that difficult though.

KLB
07-12-2006, 04:14 PM
I imagine the vb 3.6 upgrade won't be that difficult though.
True, it isn't like you do all kinds of crazy mods or use a highly customized skin.

BTW speaking of updates, am I noticing lots of changes going on in our smilie selection?

Johnny Gulag
07-12-2006, 06:17 PM
I notice that when I click "New Posts" I get the following:
Sorry, there are no new threads to view.

You may search for threads updated during the previous 24 hours, here.

Not sure if that is an error or if there are just no new posts, but it seems that there are new posts as this is the first time I have seen this one since I was last here. :)

KLB
07-12-2006, 06:39 PM
No it isn't an error there are several different ways the "New Posts" search can be conducted. The way it is done now is the default way. The way it was being run was a modified method we had asked for that displays all active threads for the last 24 hours. All this means is that we will have an extra click if we want to see more posts.

Oh Chris there is one change I'd like to request from the Admin control panel. Under vBulletin Options ==> "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type" would you please change the option to "Database (automatic forum marking)" and set the "Database Read Marking Limit" to something like 14?

As this forum isn't really busy, this shouldn't put too much load on the server, but would help us find older threads that we might not have read. Sometimes when I get distracted recent threads get marked as read simply because the session time has past, which gets annoying. This modification might help threads get more responses.

Chris
07-12-2006, 07:45 PM
what I'll try doing is removing the calendar link from the navbar (who uses it anyways?) and put both a new posts and today's posts link there.

agua
07-12-2006, 07:55 PM
The quick reply button doesn't work for me... using FF on mac OSX

KLB
07-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Quick reply is working just fine for me with Firefox on Windows. Really all the quick reply button does is jump one to the bottom of the page to the message box.

Chris
07-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Well I don't know aqua... I haven't changed it at all so it should be VB standard code... which should be cross browser.

agua
07-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah - don't worry about it - thinking about it I nearly always go to the long reply anyway.

One thing which has been annoyin me though is email notifications - I don't get any even though in my options I have it checked - is this just me also?

KLB
07-12-2006, 08:48 PM
The from email address for new post notifications have changed so if you use a spam filter it may be blocking the new email address. Just make sure to exempt emails from @websitepublisher.net and you should be okay. I suspect Chris was getting too much spam.

SRTech
07-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Neat upgrade. Wish more forums upgraded