PDA

View Full Version : Wild Scenario

vahsi000
07-12-2006, 03:52 AM
Here's a scenario that's probably not going to happen any time soon (but I sure like the idea). What if a super virus were to hit all of the search engines which deleted all information about site (pr ranking and other info). I'm sure big websites like bbc and wikipedia (and many others) will have no trouble getting back on to their # 1 ranks again. But what would this mean to the average webmaster? (i'm sure quiet a few people will piss their pants over at google corp.)

MarkB
07-12-2006, 04:26 AM
I'd be dancing with joy - nice, fresh start :D

chromate
07-12-2006, 04:30 AM
It wouldn't be a problem. Remember everything gets updated regularly anyway. So if all the search engines were wiped out for a while, things would just return to their former state (or close to) when they came back up and the spiders start crawling. If the algorithms got destroyed, that would be a different matter. But none of this is likely to happen anyway. :)

vahsi000
07-12-2006, 05:37 AM
who knows what the .com crash was about (this apparently happened long ago) I keep hearing it on tv but never get to find out what it is.

Blue Cat Buxton
07-12-2006, 05:57 AM
who knows what the .com crash was about (this apparently happened long ago) I keep hearing it on tv but never get to find out what it is.

The .com crash was financial. In a nutshell, people invested (lots of) money in companies that prommised to make huge returns through technology, mostly via a web presence. In reality most of them never had a chance of making money and most lost huge amounts. Investors just got caught up in the thought that every technology company was going to be huge and didnt want to miss out on those returns, pushing prices up. Eventually enough went broke and investors came to their senses (many loosing money) and the prices of these companies plumeted, hence the crash.

vahsi000
07-12-2006, 08:37 AM
what year was this?

Chris
07-12-2006, 09:01 AM
1999/2000.

John
07-12-2006, 09:52 AM

WOW, how old are you? :eek2:

Cutter
07-12-2006, 01:08 PM
I'd be more concerned about the end of the world than the SEs getting wiped out.

deronsizemore
07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Wouldn't google have backup's of everything for disaster recover purposes? They should be able to just pop everything right back up to the way it was if they lost it all.

Chris
07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Google has dozens or hundreds of backups... all those redundant datacenters all over the world.

KLB
07-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Google has dozens or hundreds of backups... all those redundant datacenters all over the world.
Ya, if Google lost all of their datasets we would have bigger things to worry about than search results (can you say end of the world). :eek:

Emancipator
07-12-2006, 04:49 PM
I am on a first name basis with the borg I will see if I can make it happen. Granted its kinda easy since they are all named "we". And they tend to say things like "we are borg resistance is futile" ALL the time. They are really annoying friends

Yes folks my attempt at humor :)