PDA

View Full Version : How to stay ontop of MSN

vahsi000
07-10-2006, 10:47 PM
I was wondering, since majority of my traffic is coming from msn, my rankings are starting to slip and drop out of the first pages for my keywords. I was wondering if msn looked for the same thing as google, like backlinks and popularity when listing websites. My gaming website was on the first page once for a keyword related to gunbound, now newer websites have pushed my site out of the first page, how do i go about getting my pages on the first page?

Chris
07-11-2006, 05:30 AM
All the search engines look for the same more or less criteria, they only give it different weights. Also MSN had an algorithm update on Sunday so that may be what you're seeing.

Uzzz
07-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Do you have a link where it says when all the updates are/just happened?

Chris
07-11-2006, 09:10 AM
No, not anything so structured.

vahsi000
07-11-2006, 09:19 AM
then how do ppl find out about these kinds of stuff? Past experience?

Emancipator
07-11-2006, 10:08 AM
msn used to be 80% backlinks. I know since I experimented and was able to get all my sites to #1 on MSN for tough terms. It updated about a month ago and crushed my dreams :P I am still ranking well just not as highly as I was.

tommy_boy
07-11-2006, 11:02 AM
from my short experience the only way to stay on top of msn is not to do any link exchanges....

Emancipator
07-11-2006, 06:46 PM
not sure what you mean tommy since i did the complete opposite. Can you elaborate?

Masetek
07-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Submitting to directories only netted me some good #1's. Shows they are still looking at mass backlinks I think, not necessarily the quality. But still, my #1's on MSN send me hardly any traffic. #10 of google sends about the same amount

jaybird691
07-11-2006, 11:32 PM
MSN and Yahoo have been great for directing traffic to my management site. It has been on the first page of MSN (usually at the top spot) for months and sends most of my traffic. It has also been on the first page of Yahoo for some time for the keywords I have aimed for. Just lately has my site appeared on the first page of Google for the same keywords. It appears it takes a lot of time, patience, and work as far as SEO and content. As far as backlinks, I do not know how this affects my sites and their rankings.

tommy_boy
07-12-2006, 10:10 AM
not sure what you mean tommy since i did the complete opposite. Can you elaborate?

From my experience all that MSN cares about is keywords in the URL and keyword density. I have 3 sites right now in the number 1 position on MSN for their keywords and they are all very competitive. These sites have no link exchanges at all and only a handful of inbound links. I had 2 Myspace sites in the number 1 position for their keywords and I soon as I started doing link exchanges and started ranking on Google they vanished. Only 1 has come back but it is buried on MSN. The Myspace site that has not come back is on Googles first page of the serps for its keywords.