PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for a directory listing?

Chris
07-10-2006, 02:50 PM
What would you pay for a directory listing, if you were paying purely for the value the link provided in search engines? For a 1 time fee?

What would you pay for a listing on a PR 7 category page?

A PR 6?

A PR 5?

See, I'm considering launching a directory but it only makes sense for me to do it if I charge for listings. It'd likely be a webmaster directory. Ideally I'd like to finagle $50 per listing. I could certainly get the homepage of the site to a PR of 7, the subpages would be high. What do you think?

paul
07-10-2006, 03:01 PM
I pay $30/mo for a home page link on a PR7 site with 13 total outbound links. A $50 one time fee would be a deal.

Emancipator
07-10-2006, 03:39 PM
yeah i would pay $50 one time fee so long as its a good link and there isnt 4,000 other links on the page.

Kyle
07-10-2006, 03:55 PM
I would pay almost anything, within reason. It all depends on the quality of the directory. I've been seeing too many directories running into problems lately with search engines and passing link value.

I'm sure you are taking this into consideration though. And making a niche directory on webmaster topics will definitely help in avoiding search engine penalties. Most of the problems have been with general crap directories that serve no other purpose than passing pagerank/link value.

KLB
07-10-2006, 04:06 PM
I very rarely pay for directory listings.

Masetek
07-10-2006, 08:16 PM
I have paid $50/year for PR5, $60/year for PR6 and $20/year for PR4 or so. But it depends on the directory. Many old directories (BOTW for example) are very old sites and Im sure Google would see them as "trusted" links. I dont mind paying for that. I dont buy purely on PR, but I know many people do.

Check out Digitalpoint, there's plenty of discussions going on about this. I started off a paid webmaster directory as part of Directory Critic and I've sold a few listings already and it's PR0 and I havent even really started promoting it yet.

Theres definately money to be made, but your dir has to be top notch. Both PR and design.

davesplace1
07-16-2006, 02:38 PM
I would pay $50 to be listed in a high qualty directory. You already have alot of webmaster traffic so I think you will do good with your own directory. I just paid $40 to be listed in JoeAnt and I did not end up on a PR 7 page.

cinemaeye
07-16-2006, 04:46 PM
I would definitely pay $50. Or even more if it was a one time fee.