PDA

View Full Version : MySpace Promotion

Chris
06-29-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't use myspace, but I've heard enough about it I think to know how it works.

I just had this brain storm of a cool way to do some MySpace promotion... my question is how lenient are they with that sort of thing? Like I plan to make a profile which should get hundreds of friends and link to my site from this profile. Are they good with that or will it get deleted? Just now I was browsing some and noticed a distinct lack of external links so I was wondering.

Cutter
06-29-2006, 06:54 PM
I have not run in to problems. The dating and other spammy stuff they do crack down on.

One strategy I have used is to provide a link to the myspace profile on my site, visitors add you to their friends, you comment a "thanks for the add" or something on their profile, their friends see it and add you.

Many people use pics of attractive chicks to get the passive ads, there are other ways to do it, which really only work if you are relevent to the audience.

Chris
06-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Okay... once its done then I'll post the profile here so you all can tell me what you think. I won't be doing it myself, my content manager is, but when she is done I guess...

Westech
06-29-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm about to do something similar so I'll look forward to seeing your example.

Emancipator
06-30-2006, 06:25 AM
i have also already started mine... ;)

tommy_boy
06-30-2006, 07:50 AM
I have some of these also... targeting groups does seem to work well. How is your site doing Cutter? The myspace site that is..

Westech
06-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Has anyone come up with a way to disable or hide your personal stats in these accounts? I'm trying to promote a website, not a 28 year old married male from Oklahoma! :p

How are all of you planning on handling this, just letting your personal stats show through?

tommy_boy
06-30-2006, 08:35 AM
This is the only code I have seen for this. It does hide everything however.

<style type="text/css"> table td.text {visibility:hidden;} td.text td, td.text span, td.text a {visibility:visible;} </style>

There are ways to do this without needing to hide anything though.

Mike
06-30-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't get how it works though, I mean how is having a lot of friends on myspace going to affect traffic to another site? Or do you just advertise on myspace?

What sort of traffic have you got Cutter?

By the sounds of things though, I think myspace will crack down on this soon because a lot of webmasters seem to be doing it.

Cutter
06-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Traffic is not very much. I am targetting a very specific audience, and even if I had every single of of those people in the world it still would not be high volume.

organ
06-30-2006, 06:26 PM
The promotion season is coming.
Digg and MySpace.
Now everyone are attention it. :lol:

organ
06-30-2006, 06:34 PM
I don't get how it works though, I mean how is having a lot of friends on myspace going to affect traffic to another site? Or do you just advertise on myspace?

What sort of traffic have you got Cutter?

By the sounds of things though, I think myspace will crack down on this soon because a lot of webmasters seem to be doing it.
I put an sexy photo on my profile, it attract many male audience. :D