PDA

View Full Version : Allowed to just use pics and vids from sites like Break?

deronsizemore
06-29-2006, 07:50 AM
I'm wondering if you could just use images and vids from sites such as Ebaumsworld and Break freely on your own site? I don't see any disclaimer on Ebaumsworld about using their content, but Break says you must use their code to use the content found on their site, which in some cases I'm wondering why because some of the content on break I've also seen on other sites, so in every instance of this happening I doubt break is the originating site?

Westech
06-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Ebaumsworld runs into a lot of problems with using content without permission. I'd estimate that 99% of the content on their site is not generated by them, and thus not theirs to give or deny permisson to use, even though they slap their ebaumsworld watermark on it (again, usually without permission). I'm not sure about break.

We had a run-in with ebaums over one of our games a while back. I won't take this thread off topic with the details here, but I will tell you that most content creators will be upset if you use their content without permission, and they won't accept "but I got it from ebaumsworld/break" as an excuse.

Many of these types of sites just use whatever they want and never run into any trouble, but you'll always be running the risk that you'll one day be discovered by someone willing to press the issue. Additionally, even if you are never caught, it's just not right. It's basically the same thing as copying and pasting the text from someone else's website into your own.

The best course of action would be to contact the author of the content directly and ask for permission to use their work on your site. Many of these types of images or videos have url's or email addresses for the author somewhere within them.

Westech
06-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Here's a good link that clearly explains this issue: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/copyright

Particulary interesting is the interview linked in this article of an ebaumsworld employee stating "there are really no written rules or regulations" regarding copying content published on the internet, and thus ebaums world can use whatever it wants without permission.

deronsizemore
06-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the link. Appreciate the feedback also. This is more or less what I thought, just didn't want to do anything that pissed someone off or got a lawsuit.

AndyH
06-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah I didn't want to de-rail this thread when I first read it but I had to laugh at "...Ebaumsworld about using their content...". That site is held together by stolen content.

Break I havn't heard any complaints about. They also pay quite good for contents I believe.

You'd really want all contents submit by users and try to confirm that it is being submit by the maker - in a perfect world...

albert_chu
07-10-2006, 11:55 PM
usually most of the videos and picture on break.com have the break logo on the bottom right corner..