PDA

View Full Version : News for Manly Men Site

Emancipator
06-28-2006, 06:28 PM
This is my new blog. Total time invested, 2hours. Custom coded blog system designed with a cms to make posting news VERY fast, and easy to navigate. Site is 98% completed.

Deliberately tried to keep it super simple and clean. www.avixion.ca :)

Cutter
06-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Definately post more youtube vids; when people get the link they will share the link to your site and not youtube. This can be very effective if you have good traffic streams.

I would recommend that you make headlines a bit bigger.

deronsizemore
06-29-2006, 07:42 AM
I really like the design! I wish I could throw something together like that in a couple hours.

The only thing that at first glance, pops out at me and kind of a turn off is that I felt like as soon as the site opened, you main content there on the homepages, resembles adsense ads. So if I didn't know otherwise, I would be wondering if this was just a spam page full of ads like you see alot of out there today.

Other than that I think everything looks clean and professional, nice colors, easy to read. Good work!

Emancipator
06-29-2006, 08:36 AM
tehre are no ads anywhere on the mainpage so im a bit confused. Their are 3 feature images, and then the regular blog entries. Cutter I just updated the font on the mainpage to make it a bit bigger, hows that work for you?

chromate
06-29-2006, 08:40 AM
I think with a media driven site like this it would be a good idea if each blog post included a picture. That way you're more likely to get people clicking through to see the entire post.

Emancipator
06-29-2006, 09:16 AM
i should be clear its not a media driven blog, it is a news site. It just so happens that to start it off its about 50% video. I have deliberately avoided some features to keep the site simple. For example, complete site design, coding and 22 news items took 3hours. I can now add new news items with my "simple" cms in minutes.

Images is a fantastic idea but I am not sure that i can keep it simple enough to make this site a few minutes a week worth of work like my other sites :) Thansk for the feedback, much appreciated!

deronsizemore
06-29-2006, 12:08 PM
tehre are no ads anywhere on the mainpage so im a bit confused. Their are 3 feature images, and then the regular blog entries. Cutter I just updated the font on the mainpage to make it a bit bigger, hows that work for you?

Yes, I realize they are not ads. At first glance, I just got the impression that they "looked" like ads.

Kinda like you might find on a parked page or something, like here: http://www.kyderby.net

I agree with each post having an image or two, I think that would really add that extra "something" to the site.

Emancipator
06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
sorry deron gonna have to agree to disagree with you on the feature images. :) I like having some visuals on the page. not sure how i could do an image or two on each news item but since i want to keep this site down to a 10minutes a month worth of maintenance for now im gonn pass on images on the mainpage, other then the features of course.:)

deronsizemore
06-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I definitely understand that. The less work the better right? Good luck with it.

Emancipator
06-29-2006, 01:32 PM
likely in a future version of my cms control system i will incorporate some of the image suggestions while still keeping news to teh simplest fashion possible. I can do 40 - 50 news items a day in under 1hours work on all my sites and really try to keep it that way.

deronsizemore
07-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Was this just a template you used for the site design or custom?

I came across this site which looks exactly like yours....

http://blog.wttalk.com/

Johnny Gulag
07-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Hello

According to the .css file for the link you posted Deron it is a Template monster Template :p
/*
Theme Name: Fighting the Darkness
Theme URI: http://www.templatemonster.com
Description: centered on page, sidebar on right on all views, round corners, dark background
Version: 1.5
Author: Template Monster
*/

deronsizemore
07-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Hello

According to the .css file for the link you posted Deron it is a Template monster Template :p

Ahh! ;) Didn't look at the .css file. Just making sure someone hadn't already taken Emancipator's design.

vahsi000
07-16-2006, 08:35 AM
emancipator, i don't think you have answered the question where the ads/ if there are going to be ads on your news blog site...

Emancipator
07-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Was this just a template you used for the site design or custom?

I came across this site which looks exactly like yours....

http://blog.wttalk.com/

Yep yep its a free template. Got from TemplateMonster ( I Believe ). Normally I would buy a template, but this one is simple and for me it works. sorry for the delayed response :) And I would not be surprsied to see something taken so quickly. I like to buy templates, strip em down to the bare bones of what I need and go with em. Sometimes ( 5 or 6 times ) I buy a completely custom design.

Emancipator
07-16-2006, 06:15 PM
I agree with each post having an image or two, I think that would really add that extra "something" to the site.

re-reading I think I mis-read what you wrote. I actually agree that each short post should have an image of some sorts if possible :) I think I was on brain overload the day I originally reponsed to you.

deronsizemore
07-16-2006, 07:21 PM
re-reading I think I mis-read what you wrote. I actually agree that each short post should have an image of some sorts if possible :) I think I was on brain overload the day I originally reponsed to you.

Ohh, I know how that is. I was confused also, I had to go back and re-read what I wrote to make sure I actually wrote what I was thinking! lol.

But yeah, you interpreted it correctly now. Just a small image as kinda like a teaser for each post before they click on the "read more" or whatever link you have there.

cinemaeye
07-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Looks cool to me. I've really liked moviesonline.ca for quite a while now and I think the network of sites you're building really complement each other well.

Are they all running on your custom CMS?

Emancipator
07-17-2006, 05:09 PM
yeah moviesonline.ca is my baby and it is a custom cms which I update daily. I just did another big update this weekend. I am trying hard to build a source for news and movie information from a movie fanatics perspective. that and giving away a ****eload of stuff :) Glad you dig it bro!