PDA

View Full Version : Help Please Chris!

incka
11-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Mike and me are trying to work something out on my new site...

Some of the music videos have two speeds, which are different movie files, and we are confused about how to get it so php wont think they are different movies or php wont crash. Can you help us please.

http://www.games2go.co.uk/musicvideos/pulp_doyourememberthefirsttime.html

This is the design in using...

It gives you an example of our problem...

Mike
11-26-2003, 01:51 PM
To extend...

There will be two different speeds in one row, so it will be hard (or impossible?) to echo them seperatly I think.

Btw, regarding the title, I'm sure it doesn't have to be Chris who answers;)

MarkB
11-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Hmm - I don't see any PHP on that page? How exactly will PHP be used? Will it be used to create the pages dynamically?

incka
11-26-2003, 03:15 PM
It's just my html.

I'm converting it to PHP.

kdb003
11-26-2003, 04:48 PM
why? are you trying to make the design easier to update? is there anything dynamic?

please explain your specific problem, so we can understand and help.

incka
11-27-2003, 12:29 AM
We are trying to make it so there is 1000's of music videos on one page, and a few other php files for category pages. The probelm is that some music videos have more than one stream. We can't figure out how to make it so they don't appear as seperate videos, but allow the user to select the stream they want.

Chris
11-27-2003, 07:33 AM
Can't you just point to different streams based on what speed the person selects?

MarkB
11-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Why not have the video links brought up based on title only, and when the user clicks on them they get a pop-up asking them to select connection speed? Then you just have DB fields with each video record, for the two different video files. If ya get me.

incka
11-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Your telling mike how to do it...

I told him what Mark said, just as an extra page, not a popup, but Mike said it was impossible.

Mike
11-27-2003, 09:55 AM
Sorry incka but I have never said that was impossible. In fact, I don't think I said anything was impossible, but anyway...

I'm not sure I get what you mean Mark:) Could you explain please?

MarkB
11-27-2003, 01:40 PM
Sure :)

The videos are for songs, right?

So each song will have a record in the database such as:

id
songtitle
bandname
albumname
video_lofi (containing the lofi filename)
video_hifi (containing the hifi filename)

So, you will do a call for all the videos (or by whatever category criteria you want) such as "SELECT * FROM videos WHERE blah='blah' SORTBY songtitle ASC" ... or whatever :)

The results will be links. These links will launch a window which will then call the contents of the song's DB record. From this, you will be able to create two links - one to the lofi version, another to the hifi version.

I hope that explains it a little better :)

Mike
11-27-2003, 02:38 PM
Ah, I get ya:)

Thanks Mark:)

I wouldn't have seven different speeds for one song, as you mentioned before Sean. The way Mark has suggested will make it a lot more simpler, and still make it so you have two versions for different speeds.

incka
11-28-2003, 12:38 AM
I suppose...

And we need a field for amazon buy code...

Mike
11-28-2003, 09:18 AM
Talk to you on AIM/MSN.

incka
11-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Iy will be AIM...

I'll load it in a few mins...