PDA

View Full Version : Dmoz

nytrokiss
06-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I can't seem to get into dmoz i don't spam them... i think i don't do anything wrong have a normal site why don't they accept me??

Chris
06-25-2006, 04:18 PM
DMOZ is poorly managed, its not uncommon for some categories to be ignored for months and months and months. There is also editor abuse where people delete competitors sites etc.

Westech
06-26-2006, 07:22 AM
I've given up on DMOZ. I'll submit each of my sites once, then I'll just forget about it. Some get in, some don't. The best thing you can do is make sure that your submission is well written and follows all of the guidelines. Beyond that it's not worth worrying about since there's nothing you can do that will have any effect.

KLB
06-26-2006, 11:13 AM
DMOZ is an example of why the open source concept does not port well from software development to directory development or website content development.

Kyle
06-26-2006, 11:27 AM
A very ipmortnat thing to keep in mind.

Compare what you're submitting with the rest of the sites in the given category. Try and make your submission unique.

jaybird691
06-27-2006, 01:14 AM
I have had one of two sites I submitted accepted to DMOZ. It went rather quickly while the other has had no action at all. It is frustrating but I finally gave up because it appears as the others have said, some editors are very active and others are very slow. It didn't seem worth the time and effort after a while.

nytrokiss
06-27-2006, 02:15 PM
it's a shame everyone uses them it's like 18 good links i could do with oh well.......

fatnewt
06-27-2006, 07:32 PM
it's a shame everyone uses them it's like 18 good links i could do with oh well.......

Perhaps, but you could probably get eighteen better links in the same amount of time, and with less worry, without thinking about DMOZ.

Masetek
06-27-2006, 07:38 PM
DMOZ is simple...

Submit and forget.

:thumbs_up

montux
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
DMOZ is poorly managed, its not uncommon for some categories to be ignored for months and months and months. There is also editor abuse where people delete competitors sites etc.

Right.. i am going to hate Dmoz :(

donelson
07-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Opposite Problem (but related)

Perhaps you Don't Want to Get Into DMOZ? Once in, never out!

What if you want an update to your description or title? NO WAY !

Now that Google are sucking up 5 year-old titles and descriptions from DMOZ, we'd like to leave DMOZ. Editors there have point-blank refused to allow us to leave the prison (IN WRITING!)

Just like the Communists and the Berlin Wall - to keep them in!

Does anyone know of any way to get de-listed from DMOZ?

Thanks!

Chris
07-12-2006, 10:28 AM
take your site offline.... but seriously, there is a solution:

http://www.websitepublisher.net/blog/2006/05/22/search-engines-borrowing-page-titles-from-directories/

donelson
07-12-2006, 10:59 AM
take your site offline.... but seriously, there is a solution:

http://www.websitepublisher.net/blog/2006/05/22/search-engines-borrowing-page-titles-from-directories/
Yes, thanks! We already use the "No effing DMOZ" meta tag for MSN

>> META NAME=”ROBOTS” CONTENT=”NOODP” <<

Too bad it doesn't work for Google!

Of course, do no evil is very far from do no wrong.

In my book, any company that doesn't care about the truth IS EVIL already!

BTW- We ARE thinking of taking our sites offline, getting new domains for them, and then re-launching. But only as a last resort -- Grrrrr!

donelson
07-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Just announced by Google today --- AVOID DMOZ TITLES

<meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOODP">
<meta name="msnbot" content="NOODP">
<meta name="GOOGLEBOT" content="NOODP">

http://sitemaps.blogspot.com/2006/07/more-control-over-page-snippets.html

THANKS Google Guys !

KLB
07-13-2006, 04:49 PM
I saw the other day that MSN was going to support this, it is good to see that Google is going to support this as well. I've already implemented the ROBOTS version site wide yesterday. :)

Selkirk
07-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Does google or MSN ever use the DMOZ title when the url in the search results is not the page that is listed in the directory?

In other words, you should only have to put this on the pages that are DMOZ listed, right?

KLB
07-13-2006, 05:54 PM
In other words, you should only have to put this on the pages that are DMOZ listed, right?

I think you are right about this, but some sites like mine attract volunteer DMOZ listings (yes it does happen) so we can never be sure which pages need it. As my site is template drivien anyways, it is easier for me to simply place the tag on all pages than it is to select which pages to display it on.

ses5909
07-14-2006, 08:14 PM
I recently had a new site of mine added to DMOZ and I never submitted it. Best I could figure is someone was trying to apply as an editor for a section :\

Chris
07-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Volunteer listings aren't that uncommon. I don't keep track of DMOZ because I have so many, but at yahoo I've gotten around 35 so far.

trueman
12-04-2006, 05:41 AM
what about yahoo tag to - no yahoo directory ?

SandDancer
12-05-2006, 04:16 AM
I've got a site on DMOZ and find it rather annoying that Google uses thir description whereas Msn seems to start on meta description and then display a but of the first page content.

I find it very easy to get blogs added to DMOZ, but not core sites.

stymiee
12-05-2006, 07:51 AM
I've got a site on DMOZ and find it rather annoying that Google uses thir description whereas Msn seems to start on meta description and then display a but of the first page content.

You can stop this with a simple meta tag.

yelena66
12-27-2006, 10:33 PM
I looked for docs that referring to this problem but couldn't find any of those, do you have a clue?

-------------------------------------------
What music do you like?
destinys child fans site
http://www.*****************.com