PDA

View Full Version : Tech Cheat Sheets

SRTech
06-22-2006, 11:13 AM
I am building one of my first sites, and it is ready for some reviews:

http://techcheatsheets.com is a tag based directory of handy cheat sheets and quick reference guides.

Thanks for your comments!

E8MC
09-15-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm sure you mean well, but "Tag Lines / Clouds" are already being frowned upon by many SE's ... you have the following 18 code warnings you may wish to fix for SE validation:

line 56 column 1 - Warning: <div> isn't allowed in <h2> elements
line 56 column 74 - Warning: discarding unexpected </div>
line 99 column 70 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&hl"
line 113 column 222 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&hl"
line 181 column 40 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&url"
line 181 column 80 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&title"
line 181 column 255 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&noui"
line 181 column 260 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&jump"
line 181 column 271 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&url"
line 181 column 311 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&title"
line 192 column 139 - Warning: '<' + '/' + letter not allowed here
line 192 column 157 - Warning: '<' + '/' + letter not allowed here
line 193 column 5 - Warning: '<' + '/' + letter not allowed here
line 194 column 5 - Warning: '<' + '/' + letter not allowed here
line 192 column 1 - Warning: missing </script>
line 192 column 1 - Warning: missing </script>
line 192 column 1 - Warning: <script> inserting "type" attribute
line 159 column 4 - Warning: trimming empty <p>

Emancipator
09-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Simple design, not overly flashy, it works. I would suggest that you might want to use pastel colors that blend together a wee bit better. I like the concept.

E8MC
09-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Simple design, not overly flashy, it works. I would suggest that you might want to use pastel colors that blend together a wee bit better. I like the concept.I don't understand what you're talking about; I was referring to your request for a review of your website.

Emancipator
09-15-2006, 06:08 PM
E8MC I think your confused. He asked for a review, I have given him one. I didnt request a review of my website.

Johnny Gulag
09-15-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm sure you mean well, but "Tag Lines / Clouds" are already being frowned upon by many SE's I thought tag clouds we're the hot new thing? :confused:

E8MC
09-15-2006, 08:21 PM
E8MC I think your confused. He asked for a review, I have given him one. I didnt request a review of my website.I'm not confused, as you did ask for a review of your website as clearly shown here (http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6049)

E8MC
09-15-2006, 08:23 PM
I thought tag clouds we're the hot new thing? :confused:Sir; they were up until about a month ago, when Google and other SE's started penalizing websites using them -- go back to good ol' text / images and you'll fare better.

AmbulanceBlues
09-16-2006, 07:18 AM
I love your concept. The layout is straightforward and readable. I would (and will!) visit your site frequently. I'm kind of lazy and I have a poor memory, so Dummies Books and Cheat Sheets are some of my favorite things.

I don't know what a tag cloud is, but if it's that thing at the top of your page with the links to your cheat sheets, it is kind of annoying. They don't seem to be in any kind of order. Having them categorized and staggered would be much more appealing, and I would get to the content quicker.

Also, searching tags doesn't seem like something you might use that frequently. Even if you're looking for attributes of a specific tag, you will already know what language it is in and you should be able to find it in a categorized list much quicker than in a search page which might give you misleading or unrelated content.

And, I would specify to use the "Flag" feature specifically for broken links, as it occurred to me that would be a major problem with a big list of outside content.

Even if you changed nothing, I would still come back frequently. Nice site.

bbolte
09-16-2006, 01:26 PM
i like the site - great concept. i do agree with most of comments about the tag cloud. i don't mind them if used properly. although on yours, i don't see any difference in popularity - so i'm assuming that there hasn't been enough hits to show any differences yet.

i'm kind of with ambulance about wondering if its necessary here. i think a category listing would probably work just as well.

bbolte
09-16-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm not confused, as you did ask for a review of your website as clearly shown here (http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6049)
but this isn't that thread...

Emancipator
09-16-2006, 03:43 PM
nor did i ask for a review in the thread your linking to. And as Bolte said this is not the thread. To say my head is spinning now in utter CONFUSION is an under statement. Sorry i took this way off topic.

E8MC
09-18-2006, 09:05 AM
It was a mistake, as I misread your post -- guess you never make mistakes, huh?

SRTech
09-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks for your comments guys. Looking forward to any more you have...