PDA

View Full Version : server stats ?

s2kinteg916
11-25-2003, 07:08 AM
i been using awstats that my host use to provide for me and i was pretty use to it now im on my new host and we have only webalizer

my site barely gets any hits right now but does webalizer show if googlebot is spidering your website ?

what can i use on a shared server to get this info ?

GCT13
11-25-2003, 07:21 AM
There has been a bit of discussion here about webalizer sucking. (Search for webalizer). Can you download your raw logs? If so, check the file for 'googlebot' to see what pages its crawled.

chromate
11-25-2003, 07:42 AM
Webalizer will list googlebot. The problem with webalizer is that it tends to confuse people.

Mike
11-25-2003, 09:40 AM
I use webalizer and am not sure why many don't like it. Reasons?

GCT13
11-25-2003, 12:16 PM
For one of my sites, it lists "Pages per Day" at 542, and "Visits per Day" at 9, which is about 60 impressions per user. Now, I like to think of my site as a usability masterpiece, but I'm really averaging about 5.5 pageviews per visitor.

Webalizer displays data for total "hits", "files", "pages", and "visits". I would think total "hits" is the same as total "files", but it has different numbers for both.

In the "Total Referrers" table, it actually includes referrers from your site, rendering it useless.

In the "Total Referrers" table, it truncates querystrings of search engines. In my opinion, that's a fairly substantial piece of data :)

In the "Total Search Strings" table, it breaks keyword phrase out by single word, so you really have no idea which exact keyword combinations where used, and from what search engine.

emke
11-25-2003, 04:58 PM
I share the opinion of those thinking Webalizer sucks as I simply can't figure it out and if I understand it than the numbers must be wrong.

I've started to use AXZ on a suggestion by Chris and I think it's great and accurate. http://www.xav.com/scripts/axs/

bugsy
11-25-2003, 07:41 PM
I use webtrends (server edition) -- and I LOOOOOOOOOOVE it. It's ma' *****!