PDA

View Full Version : Sources of Traffic : MSN is so bad!

Emancipator
06-07-2006, 05:23 PM
I noticed MSN has been doing some updates and their traffic to me has plummetted on one of my sites. I hate putting all my eggs in the google basket. How bad? Well here are my top referrers

1. google
2. crazymonkeygames.com
3. (direct)
4. yahoo
5. msn

You know its a sad sad day when Westechs site sends me more traffic then yahoo and MSN combined lol. By the way thanks for the link westech :P

Cutter
06-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Here is what I've found about MSN:

-Its easy for a brand new site to rank
-You never know when, if, and why you'll lose your ranking
-MSN traffic has a good Adsense clickthrough rate, but not as good as AOL's
-Even if your ranking #1 for a keyword you will get a tiny fraction of the traffic you would get for that rank on Google; I'm guessing under 5%, but I could be wrong.

r2d2
06-08-2006, 10:45 AM
-MSN traffic has a good Adsense clickthrough rate, but not as good as AOL's

Can I ask how you are determining this? In Google Analytics somehow?

KLB
06-08-2006, 11:32 AM
I just wish MSN and Yahoo did as good of a job of deep crawling that Google does. If Yahoo and MSN deep crawled and indexed my site the way Google does I could see a substantial increase in traffic

One way I could think of tracking referrer click through rates (at least from a few select sites) would be to create specific channels for those referrers and then use server side instructions to swap in the appropriate channel into the AdSense code based on who the referrer is.

Mike
06-08-2006, 12:43 PM
I totally agree with everything you say Cutter, that's exactly what's happened with me.

Kyle
06-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Right now I make ~70% of my money with MSN. MSN can be hugely profitable. Higher conversion rates overall than Google.

Selkirk
06-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Conversion rate for each major search engine (http://www.websidestory.com/news-events/press-releases/view-release.html?id=319).

John
06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the link, although I wish they would go into greater detail in the article.

Kyle
06-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Wow, thanks Selkirk. My statement was based only on experience. It's nice to see some statistics to back it up.

KLB
06-08-2006, 09:14 PM
One note:

People may be talking about two different kinds of conversion in this thread. The first type of conversion is a web publisher turning visits to their site into clicks on their ads and the second conversion is an e-commerce site turning clicks on their ads into sales.
The first type of conversion may not be representative of the second type of conversion.

The link above to webside story is referring to the latter conversion which is clicks on ads turing into sales.

John
06-09-2006, 12:09 AM
One note:

People may be talking about two different kinds of conversion in this thread. The first type of conversion is a web publisher turning visits to their site into clicks on their ads and the second conversion is an e-commerce site turning clicks on their ads into sales.
The first type of conversion may not be representative of the second type of conversion.

The link above to webside story is referring to the latter conversion which is clicks on ads turing into sales.

Usually when people talk about conversions thats what I assume they are talking about.

Kyle
06-09-2006, 01:50 AM
I was referring to sales.

KLB
06-09-2006, 06:10 AM
I was referring to sales.

At first I thought we were talking about click throughs, thus I was talking about channels.

Cutter
06-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Here you go for the click tracking, and it is through Google Analytics:
http://www.seobook.com/archives/001370.shtml

It isn't perfect but it gives you a good idea.

nytrokiss
06-25-2006, 01:24 PM
For me I have MSN ranking on most of the things i want however i never get any clicks!

Emancipator
06-25-2006, 03:36 PM
same here nytro, great rankings for good terms, very little traffic.