PDA

View Full Version : curious to know about third party & customised Control Panels

soniaR
06-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Hello everyone,

We know about various CP’s in the market like plesk, helm, cPanel etc.
Just wondering what is your opinion, a third party or a customized control panel designed by the hosting company itself?

What do you think

KelliShaver
06-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Some are good (Site5) some are bad (DreamHost).

I would say try and get a look at a demo version (or at least look at screenshots) of the control panel first if you plan to use them for a lot of hosting. If you just want to toss up sites that once they're up won't require you to be in the control panel much, then just put up with it if the price is right. At least that's what I'd do.

Chris
06-07-2006, 01:13 PM
I prefer cpanel. It seems to be the easiest and the best supported.

For instance with Ensim doing an upgrade is a major issue, you have to hunt them down and do them manually and they might not even support your install anymore.

With cpanel you press a button in the whm.

John
06-07-2006, 01:35 PM
I have a lot of sites hosted at site5 and they have a custom control panel. Their custom panel is faaar batter then anything I've ever used. You should check out some of their features http://www.site5.com/hosting/features.php

Emancipator
06-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Nexcess has a really good panel.

guruji
06-08-2006, 03:41 AM
Hi,
If you are not able to solve a customer problem then you are as good as
gone.

On the other hand a hosting company that makes its own CP shows that
they have analysed the market and have accordingly made a CP that will
suit the customers the best and will be able to answer any CP related
questions a customer asks as they have designed the CP themselves.
guruji

Westech
06-08-2006, 09:03 AM
The Interworx control panel is great. -- http://interworx.com/ It's very stable and easy to use.

richardevanslee
06-09-2006, 03:55 PM
I greatly like Cpanel: it is more than I would've probably thought of asking for.

But I've found that DreamHost's custom panel is better at installing some software than Cpanel.

Richard