PDA

View Full Version : Picture

izwar
06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi in my nigtlife site, im going to implement the photo gallery section soon. Im gonna have photographers through out the USA my question is how the heck am i gonna get the pictures from everyone. Is there a way to give limited access to users via FTP by giving them usersnames and what not, or if anyone else has any other ideas, mabie everyone putting up a photobucket accoutn but that seems kind of tedious and unprofessional, can someone suggest an idea please thank you and much appreciated.

John
06-06-2006, 06:04 PM
There are tons of ways you can do it, and yes ftp is one of them. If the people submitting the photos are somewhat computer savvy then I would go with ftp if not you might want to go with something a little easier such as an upload form via your site.

KelliShaver
06-06-2006, 07:46 PM
I would think a nice and secure upload form would be safter than an FTP account... then you could limit the allowed file types to just images.

John
06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
I would think a nice and secure upload form would be safter than an FTP account... then you could limit the allowed file types to just images.

Thats just as easy to do with ftp.

Nico
06-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah, but it'll be a lot easier for them if you make an upload feature in your site...they wouldn't need to download/use an FTP program. And you'll keep them on your site longer...that's always good.

Giles
06-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Just make a subdomain or directory and password protect it, then make a page with a simple upload form. This is simple to do using Cpanel and a script from hotscripts.com.

Good luck

Cutter
06-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Are you building the photogallery by hand, or having software do it? I've been using Photopost; it doesn't do exactly what I want, but there is no other damn way I'm dealing with thousands of pics by hand.

Giles
06-07-2006, 12:57 AM
There was a really simple gallery that didn't need a database and just retrieved the images from a folder. It was all cool and 2.0 too. i can;t remember what it was called though...

KelliShaver
06-07-2006, 08:36 AM

If you're on dedicated or a VPS, then yes. What about shared hosting? I looked and didn't see a way to easily do it, though I might just be missing it.

izwar
06-07-2006, 09:09 AM
alright, thanks for the responses im going to look into the upload form although i dont really know how to go about it i am going to check hotscrpts.com and make a password protected folder in ftp right?

also to run the album parts i was thinking coppermine photogallery and yes ive heard about the security gaps in it but i heard that they have been fixed with the latests version anyone any input on that. Coppermine and photopost are almost identical. With coppermine you can have it so ppl can upload photos but i dont want to enable that feature as it will only be event photos so id rather the photographers upload the images to me as i need to batch resize them and do a lil work on them and then put them up myself.

izwar
06-07-2006, 09:25 AM

i think i wwould want to do both ftp, and an image upload form how do you go about doing this in shared hosting FTP, also for the image upload form what would be the best way to do it as photographers will probably have about 50 pictures so it would have to be a way where they can do a lot at one time.

Giles
06-07-2006, 10:35 PM
If you are using an upload form they can just zip them first. As for ftp accounts, I assume you have cpanel, or some sort of hosting control panel, just set up a new ftp account that only has access to a specific folder and then set up a password protected subdomain that uploads into that folder if you want to use both. this can be done very easily in cpanel and I haven't used much else. Good luck.

Giles
06-08-2006, 02:28 AM
You may want to see:
http://www.websitepublisher.net/article/php-upload/

izwar
06-08-2006, 10:19 AM
You may want to see:
http://www.websitepublisher.net/article/php-upload/

hey thanks im understanding it all better now, best way seems for ppl to zip them and jus upload, in that article it mentions putting added secuirty can someone eloborate on what i would need to do to make it secure or password protected, or i looked for scripts on HOtscripts but only found photo gallery softwares.

Giles
06-09-2006, 02:22 AM
If your site isn't hosted using cpanel then i guess its pretty easy to do using ftp or in a command line, or whatver other control panel you are using.

With cpanel just use the "Password Protect Directories" tool, it seems pretty simple.

Try this file (http://photographertips.net/upload.php.zip)

Just edit the file, it's pretty simple, maximum size, filetypes, upload directory and chuck it in a password protected folder or area of your site and in the same directory as upload.php make a new directory called files(unless you changed the directory in the php file) and give upload.php and the folder the right permissions, 777(rwxrwxrwx) should work for both but that may be pretty unsecure.

izwar
06-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks yea i do have the basic Cpanel.