PDA

View Full Version : Displaying news in RSS format

Skeewe
06-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Is it good idea to collect related news feeds from, lets say Yahoo or Google news and publish them on my site in html format. Those news would be filtered to match site content.

I belive it's good becose fresh content would be added automatically.

Is there any negative aspects of that concept ??

Opinions please...

Thanks

KelliShaver
06-04-2006, 12:25 PM
In some instances, it's against the TOS of the site providing the news. They don't allow you to re-publish the content, bur rather, they provide the RSS feed solely so you can use it in your feed reader / with their services to get their news more conveniently, for your own personal uses. So if you decide to do this, you need to make sure it's allowed.

Syndicated content when used in moderation can be a good thing, but it should never amke up the majority of your site's content.

Cutter
06-04-2006, 08:11 PM
The stories are probably copyright too; publishing a small segment like google news does might be ok.

richardevanslee
06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Is it good idea to collect related news feeds from, lets say Yahoo or Google news and publish them on my site in html format. Those news would be filtered to match site content.

Have you been playing with Carp?

I've been doing a small amount of that. I have sites that aren't obviously commercial so I don't worry about using the feeds. It isn't something to depend on because Google is smart enough to know what you are doing.

Not long ago I started using a few of my own sites RSS feeds on thematically related sites instead of just using a link. This has worked out really well for building traffic. I do use the often-hated "no follow" to keep Google from seeing me as an evil publishing empire.

Richard

Skeewe
06-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Have you been playing with Carp?

I've been doing a small amount of that. I have sites that aren't obviously commercial so I don't worry about using the feeds. It isn't something to depend on because Google is smart enough to know what you are doing.

Not long ago I started using a few of my own sites RSS feeds on thematically related sites instead of just using a link. This has worked out really well for building traffic. I do use the often-hated "no follow" to keep Google from seeing me as an evil publishing empire.

Richard

Carp ??

KLB
06-09-2006, 06:29 AM
Look at the news feeds. RSS feeds with brief descriptions and links to the complete article are probably safe to use (unless by a big player like MSN, Yahoo or Google). News feeds with the complete article in all probabilty can not be used. As others have said check the TOS and ask permission of the site's owner if not sure.

Many little sites like mine publish an RSS feed with a brief description and link to the full article with the intention of getting people to use the feed on their website. It can be an excellent way of quickly promoting new articles and attracting attention.

Basically brief descriptions are usually okay. Full articles are not okay.