PDA

View Full Version : I am in the wrong business too

demosfen
06-03-2006, 10:11 PM
I was about to buy a $150 baby crib. Then the other day my wife found one on the garbage. Some kind soul even attached a bag with all screws and accessories to it. :eek:

Besides finding all the cool stuff, garbage truck drivers never strain their eyes before the computer. When economy is in depression, they are still needed. And they work in fresh air.

It took me 2 hours to carry it home and assemble. I never made $150 in 2 hours. I am now thinking what to do with the proceeds. Take a day off to take kids to the zoo, or buy 10 oz of silver. :argue:

Giles
06-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Dumpster diving is pretty cool.

Cutter
06-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Dumpster diving is pretty cool.

Yeah man, its saved me tons of money (http://freegan.info/) on my grocery bill.

demosfen
06-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Ok, that's it. Screw the website business. Where do I get garbage pickup schedule in my area? :crash:

Hylo
06-04-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't know what kind of dumpsters they have in your area but I know in mine that they certainly don't work in the "fresh air" at all, surely one of the smelliest jobs you could find.

I think I'll stick to computers ;)

chromate
06-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Every time I go to the tip, I seem to come back with something new :) People chuck away so much perfectly good stuff. Guess they can't be bothered to sell it instead.

Giles
06-04-2006, 08:54 PM
When I was about 9 a guy at the dump gave me an old windows 95 that "didn't work", I rebooted it in safe mode and it worked fine. I created some real paint masterpieces on that computer. I also kept the Microsoft Office liscence key.

Selkirk
06-05-2006, 08:30 AM
The grass is always greener.

When I worked in corporate IT, we would look out the windows (http://www.hobbs-black.com/guardinfo.html) at the landscaping guys and and think it would be nice to be outdoors all the time and to never have to take your work home with you. When the work is done, its done. You can see what you have to do, you can easily see your progress and when you're done, everyone can see what you've done. The programmers admired the concreteness of landscaping work.

I'm sure they were looking up at us thinking it would be nice to work inside where it was never blistering hot or freezing cold and it never rains and they never have to get dirt under their fingernails or bug bites. Not to mention the money.

The grass is always greener. But sometimes it really is greener (http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5478). I'll stick with the computer and leave the trash pickup to others. Although, I did spend a half hour this morning weeding my garden. Only two more rows to go. :)

Vness
06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
That's a steal!

I just grabbed some designer jeans in a garage sale for $25. Although it was not the garbage or free, I still consider it a good deal, considering they are about $100 in stores.

What to do with the $150...why not still keep it for the family and save it for a family vacation.

Vanessa
Affiliate Manager
Share Results Affiliate Network

demosfen
06-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Designer clothes are scam as far as I'm concerned. All you are paying for is the label...
Here is one more idea -

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5357056239817178301&q=shoplifting

(Please no remarks about how unethical it is to steal from large corps that destroy local businesses and environment and outsource to 3rd world sweatshops - don't get me started on that :sick: )

And here is what can happen if you choose an owner-run store
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4053543200390174541&q=shoplifting

So, ONLY SHOPLIFT AT MAJOR CHAINS and stay away from mom-and-dad shops, and make sure your family knows what you are doing, in case you have to spend a night at the precinct. :wave:

Sagewing
06-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Hard NOT to to remark on your ridiculous suggestion that it's ok to steal from a 'major chain' based on the assumption that they all destroy local businesses and the evironment and outsource to 3rd world sweatshops'. Even if that were true of all large chains (which it isn't) it doesn't make theft any less illegal.

demosfen
06-08-2006, 09:28 PM
My post was half-humorous, so no need to jump in. Thanks god this isn't Sitepoint or I'd be banned for giving 'illegal advice'.

A bit off-topic, but worth mentioning. In the US worrying about being right is safer than worrying about being within the law. The reason is that the courts are required to accept jury nullification, which is the process of jurors ignoring unfair law. Do what is (commonly considered) ethical and you should be fine. Good thing founding fathers thought of it, considering how outdated some of our laws are.

demosfen
06-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Just found one more company in a wrong business - the packaging supplier I use for my ecommerce. Ordered 180 shipping boxes from them, they sent me... well, I stopped counting at 300 and was about half way done. I thought of sending them a $300 check to correct an error, but this thought didn't stick.
I don't know why God was so kind to me this month (maybe it's his way of saying, start attending church and I'll do this for you every month :angel: ), but I'm definitely going to use some of the proceeds to take a day off. :banana:

Cutter
06-12-2006, 09:15 PM
From what I hear, packaging suppliers have good profit margins. Actually, when I first started in publishing I thought about making a content site on boxes and packaging materials, I was at a complete loss as for what to put in it :D