PDA

View Full Version : myspace promotion

Westech
06-01-2006, 12:44 PM
I've been looking into promoting some of my sites through myspace. I've read about several people doing this. I guess the general idea is to set up a profile for your site with info/links/etc, and then get users who also use myspace to add you site's profile as a "friend".

I'm not really that familliar with myspace and would appreciate any general info about tips, best practices, etc. I do know that I don't want to use some of the spammy methods I've seen like using auto-adding scripts to spam random people. I'd rather just encourage users at my site to add us as a friend and go from there.

One of the first problems I've run into is that myspace seems to want to show a profile of me as a person, not as a group or website. For instance, my website is not a 28 year old married male from Tulsa, OK, and I'd prefer that the profile page not show that information. Is there any way to hide this? It seems like myspace has a special system for bands that lets you build a profile for the band as a whole and excludes the individual personal info that standard myspace accounts require. They also have TV show profiles (like for Family Guy) that do not show the personal profile data. Is this something that I could do for my site's profile? If so, how?

I think this might also be a good article idea for someone to write for WP, something like "Myspace Promotion Basics."

Kyle
06-01-2006, 05:51 PM
I really dont know about trying to hide your info. However, I wouldn't worry about it. Just put whatever age you'd like. I don't think it'll effect your ability to market.

Have your profile pic be your crazy monkey logo.

When it comes to your bio, just briefly summarize the site. Maybe say how often you get new games, how many original games you have, etc.

When it comes to MySpace promotion, it's pretty straight forward. There's a bulletin board system where you can send announcements to your entire friends list. It is most common for website owners to announce updates to their site this way. It's can be used like a newsletter.

Given the size of your games site, I think you could easily grow a huge myspace friends list just by advertising that "Crazy Monkey Games now has a MySpace Profile! Blah blah blah be our friend" or whatever cleverness you wish to add.

Kyle
06-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Here's some more myspace goodness...

Some people give up the code to embed the game into their profile or even as a comment ("Add this game to your MySpace!"). So when you visit a myspace profile, occassionally I've seen an actual flash game loaded IN the profile.

Others simply provide the source code for you to link to the game. In my opinion this is best. It can provide a link, and doesn't waste your bandwidth. A friend of mine has a section on his content pages that says "Link to this movie/whatever from your MySpace".

Check out an example here: http://www.goyk.com/video.asp?path=2593

It's a great way to get targetted links where you have control over the anchor text. The majority of myspace users could care less about changing the anchor text. They just copy/paste.

Westech
06-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks a lot, icebane. There's some great info in there that I plan to put to good use.

AndyH
06-02-2006, 05:14 PM
I might try the same thing. As for the age, location etc. CSS to remove it?

I would probably make an auto-adding script then maybe send out a bulletin once a month.

lindapret88
07-16-2009, 02:53 AM
Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

taux pret auto (http://pret-auto.org)

Lolito
07-17-2009, 01:21 AM
For me Myspace profile is doesn't matter in terms of website promotion. But the factor for using a MySpace is the credibility of a user especially the spam issue. By the way If you want more friends to your MySpace Account, your content should be attractive.

chipstorm
07-20-2009, 02:01 PM
There are many different codes for customizing what you want or dont want on your myspace profile. A lot of info that you wish not to have displayed will not show if you leave blank in the profile information.

It is a very good idea to built up a positive reputation on any online medium you promote from, including this one. The more genuine the better. So as little spammy as possible, for sure.

Lolito
07-21-2009, 12:53 AM
If you do what I and chipstorm said join any group that niche to your website. For example your website is all about movies, you should join myspace groups that relates to your website to avoid a some spam issue. I you want more traffic to your website post your group message at once.

Additional tips for your Myspace profile, your profile must be female information. The name must be girl's name and fictitious but attractive. The photo must be girl also, many western countries and Asian are attractive to beautiful and young Asian Girls especially Chinese, Korean and Japanese. If you do that many MySpace user added you and gain more friends.

Five Pet Place
07-23-2009, 01:49 AM
Go with Facebook first. You can create a page expressly for your business.