PDA

View Full Version : vbulletin from phpbb

jacob
05-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Howdy Folks!

Due to finances, I put up the free message board phpbb available from my hosting company.

How much of a headache will it be to upgrade to vbulletin in the future?

Thanks!

KLB
05-30-2006, 04:10 PM
I don't know how hard it is, but I believe there are migration tools one can use to help with the process. You should check out http://vbulletin.com, I'm sure they have a FAQ that answers this question.

Chris
05-30-2006, 05:38 PM
It isn't hard at all.

Cutter
05-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Not too bad, I've done it myself. It took a few hours but I didn't run into any big problems where I had to roll back or anything like that.

Giles
05-31-2006, 01:08 AM
I upgraded my forum from phpBB to myBB and sent mass email to all my 47 users requesting them to sign up again. It's been about a week and the new forum has 10 users. Yesterday i discovered a tool that imports all users and posts from phpBB to myBB, I'm a damn fool!

jacob
05-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the info! If I'm creating a huge headache for myself down the road i'd scrounge up the money now for vbulletin.

jonnyhilfiger
05-31-2006, 03:33 PM
I'd recommend going for VB from the start. I used PHPBB for a few years on one of my sites but it was a firefighting exercise all the time as PHPBB seems to be the target of choice for script kiddies.

Moving from PHPBB to VB is dead easy, a tool is supplied for the job. All accounts/passwords are kept intact.

The only thing I would say is that it takes a few hours to familiarise yourself with the VB admin panel, it's a fair bit more comprehensive than the PHPBB one.

John

jacob
05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
yup, that it is and it sucks using phpbb (when used to vbulletin) but again, dont have the funds for it right now. only thing that will make me beg, borrow, or steal the money to purchase a license right now is after the firefighting gets to be too much. granted how new the site is, i'm hoping i have a few months before it starts.