PDA

View Full Version : Norton gets hammered!

Chris
05-26-2006, 08:34 AM
I hate Norton, why? Because their "Internet Security" product turns on ad blocking, even ads that have no chance of being malicious. Plus I've seen installs of free AVG Anti Virus detect far more crap without clogging up your system as much.

So turns out Norton put a root kit (more bloatware I'm sure) in a new version of their software... oops it can be exploited.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060525/tc_zd/179335

Just another reason to tell your friends & family to stay away from Norton.

KLB
05-26-2006, 08:58 AM
I ditched Norton Anti-Virus at the end of last year in favor of Avast anti-virus. I've been happy with it so far. I like the fact that I could purchase a three year definition update license. Basically this means that I won't have to worry about this expense for quite some time.

Cutter
05-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Norton is a piece of crap, I've seen sites not unable to completely load because of it. What really makes me mad is that they bought Sygate. Think they would slap their name on Sygate Personal Firewall? Nope, instead you can buy Norton Internet Security for $52 now.

Mike
05-26-2006, 12:05 PM
I've never been happy with Norton, I switched to AVG a while back and it seems to be doing the trick. Oh, and it's free :)

KelliShaver
05-26-2006, 12:42 PM
I've lost count of the number of customers we've had come in the shop with screwed up computers because Norton let tons of things slip through, or justscrewed something up in its own right.

KLB
05-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Symantec used to produce the gold standard for products, but within the last half dozen years the quality has be sliding constantly. They are not much more than an attempt to fleece the mass market by selling crap stuff using a good name.

Johnny Gulag
05-26-2006, 01:17 PM
I too have switched to AVG.

Norton was not allowing my comp to close down or restart. It would just hang up and then finally shut down. I uninstalled Norton and everything was fixed. :)

John
05-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Mark me down as AVG.

bbolte
05-26-2006, 02:33 PM
i have one box left with it on, it will be coming off soon. i had already decided on it before this event, just one more reason. i've been happy with PC-Cillin on my computer and am impressed with Avast as well. i've seen a lot of people recommend Nod32 so may look into that as well.

KLB
05-26-2006, 02:38 PM
In the 90's we could tell isomeone was a computer noobies if they were an AOL user. Now it is whether or not they use Symantec products.

Cutter
05-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Thats a pretty good analogy, maybe in ten years we can replace Symantec with microsoft :D

organ
05-26-2006, 06:37 PM
I hate Norton, why? Because their "Internet Security" product turns on ad blocking, even ads that have no chance of being malicious. Plus I've seen installs of free AVG Anti Virus detect far more crap without clogging up your system as much.

So turns out Norton put a root kit (more bloatware I'm sure) in a new version of their software... oops it can be exploited.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060525/tc_zd/179335

Just another reason to tell your friends & family to stay away from Norton.
I use Mcafee+ZoneAlarm protect my computer.
Perfect! :banana:

jacob
05-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Thats a pretty good analogy, maybe in ten years we can replace Symantec with microsoft :D

:banana: i look forward to that day

deronsizemore
05-27-2006, 07:16 AM
I use Computer Associates Antivirus and it seems to be perfect thus far. Not bad for 25 dollars.

KelliShaver
05-27-2006, 09:08 AM
I've found the perfect combo for me to be AVG + Zone Alarm + AdAware + FireFox + Thunderbird. Get something for adware/spyware, virii, a firewall, and stop using IE and OE and I haven't had a virus or any other serious problem in... well, since I've had this computer 2yrs ago, and it's rare if I find more than 7 or 9 pieces of spyware scanning every 2mo or so... those are usually from when I have to test a site in IE and are just tracking cookies.

Vinnie
05-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Unless your computer is built just for running antivirus products, you shouldn't be using Norton or McAfee.

bbolte
05-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Unless your computer is built just for running antivirus products, you shouldn't be using Norton or McAfee.
I've heard you say this before. what do you mean set up for just running av?

KLB
05-28-2006, 01:23 PM

Basically their products consume too many resources and sometimes do not play nicely with other programs. This is what they mean.

Vinnie
05-28-2006, 01:42 PM
If you want to do actual things with your computer you should use something other than Norton or McAfee so you have the free resources to do so.

bbolte
05-28-2006, 03:39 PM
ok. that's makes since...

chromate
05-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I've found the perfect combo for me to be AVG + Zone Alarm + AdAware + FireFox + Thunderbird.

Exactly the same here. Very impressed with AVG.