PDA

View Full Version : Scary thought: reliance on Google increasing.

KLB
05-25-2006, 10:19 PM
I was reviewing the referrer reports from my server logs and discovered that the percentage of traffic that is sent to my site from Google's sites has increased to around 75%. That is just bloody scary! Basically it means I'm becoming more and more dependant on Google. Not just for traffic but for ad revenues.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really hope MSN search improves and their database expands such that Google has some real competition to keep them "honest".

cameron
05-25-2006, 11:16 PM
Most of my sites rely heavily on google as well. What's scarier though, is that almost 80% of my income is from adsense.

FPU
05-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Don't worry Ken, Microsoft is investing Billions in data centers to compete, Google will have to merge with IBM to keep up!

Emancipator
05-29-2006, 12:55 PM
KLB you are so right I am with you 100%. MSN is going to need to do more then just throw cash at the problem to compete with Google. With some luck Live.com is able to snatch up some market share once their version of adsense goes live.

KLB
05-29-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm getting ready to launch some new sites and I think in about six months I'm going to try and get accepted into Yahoo's YPN and/or Microsoft's offering so that I can diversify my revenue sources and not be totally dependant on Google. At least this way I can more quickly shift from one ad source to another if necessary.

Chris
05-29-2006, 05:33 PM
In certainly doesn't hurt to have accounts at ad networks even if you don't use them.

I too worry about Google, but unfortunately there isn't much we can do about it.

izwar
06-01-2006, 09:53 AM
what is that live.com? and is there any wher eto apply for there adsense beta program yet?