PDA

View Full Version : FamousDeaddb.com - Comments/Review

Nico
05-24-2006, 10:14 AM
http://www.famousdeaddb.com/

It's not finished yet, im still working on the programming and the content of course. But it would be great to hear some comments/advices from you guys, since it would be easier for me to modify things now than later.

No ad system at this moment since i read everywhere that i should wait until i have some traffic to put them. Im planning on using Adsense and Amazon.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
Nicolas

John
05-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Nice idea, if I were you I would make sure there is at least one picture for every person and add a biography to each profile. Right now there is very little content on the profile pages.

Emancipator
05-24-2006, 01:54 PM
neat concept, simple site. Got any content? Front page is a bit blank and i honestly did not go any further.

Nico
05-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks for checking it out!

John:
Yes, the idea is to have 1 pic for everybody. The thing is that im trying to use only public domain images, so i probably won't be able to put every pic.
Im trying to stay away from the biography thing, instead i just want to focus on the death info. But i'll definitively try to add more content!

Emancipator:
Online i only put 35 people so i can test it. I have like 700 offline ready to be added.
Yeah, the homepage is a little empty, that's one of the problems. Im thinking of putting some feature profiles there...or something like "Did you know how XXX died?...".
What do you think it's missing that would make you check out the rest of the site? It would be interesting to know your thoughts.

I got indexed by Yahoo this last weekend, and one of my problems is that the little alphabetical index is getting indexed a lot, so does the footer.
Do you think it would be best to move the alpha index down?

Thanks!

r2d2
05-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Yeah, the homepage is a little empty, that's one of the problems. Im thinking of putting some feature profiles there...or something like "Did you know how XXX died?...".

'Dead Person of the Day' could be something to put on the homepage. I sometimes go to wikipedia just to see what their article of the day is.

I think it could do with some pictures or images in the template and homepage. Perhaps havea collage of dead people in the header?

Typo on Einstein: 'He was onE of the most'

Could you lift the mood a bit? Perhaps change 'death' and 'dead' to smoething less morbid?

Nice idea though! Could end up being quite a resource. Maybe school kids for history etc.

Nico
05-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Great feedback, thanks! I think i'll be adding something like that into the homepage.

Thanks for letting me know about the mood. I tried to make the design as clear and happy as posible to avoid exactly that, but it looks like i failed. I can't really remove "dead" or "death" because they are very important keywords, but i i'll see how i can improve that.

Funny that you mentioned school kids, since that was my original idea, but then i got lost in the process :)

Thanks for the feedback! Typo fixed, thanks.

Giles
05-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Theres a typo on Yasser Arafat:
"mistery" shoulf be "mystery"

A great way to promote your site would be to make a dead person of the day feed. You could get a lot of publicity out of it. For example you could approach google and talk about them adding it to their custom homepages (http://google.com/ig. You could also make it into a Mac OS X desktop widget, a konfabulator widget and generate some code for webmasters that displays the dead person of the day.
I use widgets and would love a dead person of the day on my desktop.

Good luck and great idea.

Nico
05-27-2006, 01:07 PM
I like the webmaster code to display the dead person of the day thing, great idea. Thanks Giles!

Giles
05-28-2006, 11:02 PM
I like the webmaster code to display the dead person of the day thing, great idea. Thanks Giles!

No worries. If I find the site thats lets you easily make desktop widgets out of feeds I will point you there I am sure that would generate a lot of interest in your site, plus they are pretty snazzy and cool.