PDA

View Full Version : Promoting a blog

Masetek
05-21-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm pretty new to the world of blogging. Ive got a few, but they're part of other content sites. This month Im launching 3 standalone blogs. I was wondering if anyone got some tips for promotion? Where I should be submitting to, rss sites etc. I've already got feedburner underway (very, very handy too that)

Anyone got any other ideas to get the word out?

MarkB
05-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Make sure you're pinging Technorati (and using tags, too). It's incidental traffic, but it's traffic, and a good way for other bloggers to find you.

r2d2
05-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Make sure you're pinging Technorati (and using tags, too). It's incidental traffic, but it's traffic, and a good way for other bloggers to find you.

Hi Mark, how do I ping Technorati - and do I need to if them seem to have picked up my blog (http://www.technorati.com/search/http://www.housebuyingguide.co.uk/?partner=wordpress) already? Also, what do you mean by 'tags'?

ozgression
05-22-2006, 05:34 PM
I think wordpress pings technorati by default. So if you are using Wordpress you're already pinging them.

Masetek, I think the best way to promote a blog is to become friendly with other blog owners in your chosen niches.

Cutter
05-22-2006, 06:44 PM
PM me your e-mail address and I will e-mail you the latest version of the blogging e-book I'm writing. Its rough and needs more work but I think it will give you a lot more answers/ideas than I could post in one thread.

Masetek
05-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah wordpress uses ping-o-matic, which pings loads of places for you.

R2, go to Technorati and "claim your bog". When you go through the register procedure you will have the option to setup tags. When someone types these tags into the blog finder your brlog will come up. Ive already got a few visitors from Technorati and my blog is only a day old.

Cutter, PM sent :)

r2d2
05-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks Ozgression and Masetek - blog now claimed!

Have also sent a PM Cutter :)

Selkirk
05-23-2006, 03:10 PM
RSS top 55 (http://www.masternewmedia.org/rss/top55/).

Masetek
05-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Nice link :)

KLB
05-24-2006, 10:46 AM
So, I purchased the RSSTop55 Premium listing from the link above. Some of the links are good, some are bad. Many of the listings don't provide a way to submit feeds. I'm guessing by the end I will have been able to submit my feeds to maybe half of the listings in the list.

Chris
05-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Things like here are where I think people could build a business.

There are so many spam companies who you cannot trust to submit your website. But on the other hand there are dozens or hundreds of places you can legitimately submit and that takes time. Having a trustworthy company to do this for you for a reasonable fee is a need that I do not see being filled.

Cutter
05-24-2006, 05:13 PM
What kind of fee do you think it would be worth having a person hand submit to all of these places?

KLB
05-24-2006, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't recommend allowing someone else submit your site/blog/feed to all these places. If you want to successfully promote your site, you need to do it your self to ensure it is done correctly.