PDA

View Full Version : Ad Placement on My Site

Giles
05-16-2006, 11:40 PM
I have been using the Medium Rectangle (300 x 250) ads in my content, but my columns are pretty thin so the content doesn't flow around it, plus they are pretty big and annoying. I currently have about 2 of these on each content page, one after a paragraph and one at the bottom. I am looking at other placement options, i thought I could probably blend a link unit into my navigation, or put one at the top, as shown in the picture.

i have 2 ads on each page, so I only have room for one more. It's pretty much between the top navigation link unit and the right navigation link unit.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5893/picture346ef.jpg (are we not allowed to display pictures?)

Make the rectange in my content smaller?
Add a horizontal link unit to the header?
Add a vertical link box to the navigation?

JasonN
05-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Your page is way too heavy on ads and light on content. I would concentrate on making your articles much more detailed. That way your ads won't be as annoying and more people would be interested in your site.

I'm really into photography too and I've read many photo sites. If I ran across yours I would hit my back button right away when I saw the ratio of ads to content. I'm not trying to be rude and say your site sucks, but unless you're trying the shady "give your visitors nothing useful so they leave right away through your ads" business model you really need to write more informative articles before you start tweaking ad placement endlessly.

Sorry to be so honest, but it's the most helpful thing you can hear.

John
05-17-2006, 12:14 PM
JasonN is right. Your biggest article is only 214 words long and has 2 300x250 Medium Rectangles mixed in with it. You should make your articles at least 500 words long, take out one rectangle, and maybe add a 468 x 60 banner after the article.

Giles
05-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am planning on writing better articles that are much longer and also making the ads smaller and less.