PDA

View Full Version : writer contract

Cloughie
05-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi,

I am just starting to pay writers for exclusive articles and I wondered if anyone had a good template I could modify as a contract to send out to people?

Also, in general is there a standard up front payment I should make to people?

Cheers,

Daniel

Michael
05-15-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm not so sure about the contract but the last time I ordered articles to be written I paid 50% upfront.

Shyflower
05-16-2006, 07:07 AM
I don't think you should need a contract template at all. Whoever you are paying should 1)tell you what they can do, 2) what they will do, 3) how much it will cost and 4) how long it will take in a project overview (proposal) sent out to you after you inquire about their services. Then, based on that information, build a contract that is specific to that project.

Actually, I base contracts on these elements and send them to my clients. I have never had a client send me a contract except for an NDS. If you are dealing with providers who offer work and don't have their own contract, you are dealing with the wrong people, IMO. :)

chromate
05-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Just depends on the writer. Sometimes they wont require anything up front, particularly for articles. Sometimes they do though. I've just paid someone 25% in advance. But if you're not using a contract in those kind of cases, obviously be very careful or you could easily lose a chunk of money.

Cloughie
05-16-2006, 12:21 PM
I'll just whack something together, send it by email and get them to confirm it in reply.

Would that be legally binding or would I have to get it signed?

Dural
08-20-2006, 01:09 PM
There are shades of legality. To be most legal, each party should sign and have the contract notarized.

demosfen
08-21-2006, 04:52 AM
In most places that would be fine, just make sure you don't delete his reply