PDA

View Full Version : Domain names are like baseball cards!

deronsizemore
05-14-2006, 07:49 AM
I used to have a whole crap load of baseball and basketball cards when I was younger. I would always tell my father, after looking threw the newest Beckett magazine "Ohh..this one is worth $xx.xx" and he would always say "It's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it."

I'm starting to realize that domains are the same way. As some of you know I've got another thread here selling some domains. Now don't get me wrong, I knew I wasn't sitting on a gold mine of money from these domains. That's okay with me becuase I bought them with hopes to develop them, and still might, so if they are all worth zero, then no big deal.

Here is that thread, of the domains for sale: http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5372

I was curious as to what the pros would say as far as appraisals (because I've heard these sites are the best for appraising domains. So I've been to these sites:

1. www.domainstate.com
2. www.namepros.com
3. forums.digitalpoint.com

The general response is that these domains are pretty much worthless, but I have gotten a few contradicting responses. I've had one person tell me that racingfansonly.com would sell for low $xxx. Then on another forum I was told that freegamecafe.com would sell for low $xxx. And mocked.net would be high xx. It was just funny to me that most said they were worthless, but then there are those odd few, so either someone doesn't know what they're talking about when appraising, or it's just a matter of getting lucky and actually finding someone to pay decent money for a domain.

Another that I had apprasied that is not int he other thread was www.whattahoot.com. Which I figured this one might go for like high $xx, but no good appraisals yet. Since parking on sedo (begining of May), it has 31 unique views so that would give you the impresson that someone is typing that in, or something?

Anyway, thanks for reading my LONG post. :yawnb:

FPU
05-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Most of those guys tell you great names suck and don't know what they are talking about, at the same time few of them have the available funds to pay for a great name if you have one!

Michael
05-14-2006, 08:35 AM
"It's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it." Is very true - I think it is the same for any domain name. If someone needs it, i.e. for their business, they will be willing to pay large sums of money for it. :)

FPU
05-14-2006, 09:08 AM
....or just get the .net version of it! :nod: