PDA

View Full Version : Which CMS for very hierarchial content heavy article+image website?

Slashdot
05-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Hello everyone.
i am on the hunt for a CMS. The website that it will use will have very complex hiererchial systems. It will be completely based on articles and images. (no i dont mean a gallery but rather images in between aritcle writings). it has to be extreemly adsense friendly as i hope to use adsense as the key revenue genarator for that site. i do not need any forums or boards in it.
Just a ton of articles posted in hierarcial syetms where in specific hierarchy users will provide their inputs.
i have tried Drupal - it is really nice but the category hierarchy made my head go all :flare:.
i wanted to use ez but thats XML and editing that would be yet another :flare:.
Sadly unlike most here i have very little php knowledge so making a custom CMS by me is out of the question :( and i have also tried looking through opencms to located the best one.
So what is my sollution?
Insights would be very helpful.
Thank you

deronsizemore
05-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Well you could try most of the best ones yourself at www.opensourcecms.com

My personal favorite out of the ones I've used is TextPattern

Slashdot
05-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Hello. Thank you for the suggestion.
i have found one very big drawback in using textpattern. it requires the users to have indepth understanding about textpattern. otherwise their comments or articles wont be that effective. it is a steep learning process but when learned this can do very well for my purpose. but the question is will my users bother to learn so much just to post? i dont think so :(
it also had the best hierarchy of priviligaes that i needed such as published to writer.
but is there anyway to categorize the articles extensivele?
so even being the right sollution i cant seem to be able to use it.
what do you think mate?
Thankz

deronsizemore
05-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure if I understand your question. As far as categorizing the articles, you just click on "organize" and then you can put all your different categories in there.

As far as your "users", which by user I assume you mean your writers? It shouldn't be to difficult, they don't need to learn the ins and outs of textpattern. Just give them permissions to only access the "write" section, then all they have to do is put a title in, write their article, select which category it will go in (from the drop down list of categories in which you specified) and click publish and you're off. If you're talking about textile being hard to understand, you're right. I don't use it. I just turn it off and then use straight html in the formatting of articles. simple.

Slashdot
05-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Hello mate.
Let me explain a bit more.
My website will be "completely" based on users submissions. Every registered user will have to have the right to post comments.
Also is it possible to allow everyone to write articles as well? if so how is that possible?
How do i give a user a permission to access the "wrote article" area?
What i mean by category is - Lets say under the continent of Africa there will be 40 countries. is it possible to have these 40 countries as a "subcategory" of Africa?
Thank you very much for all the help.
i am looking forward to your response.
SlashDot

deronsizemore
05-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Okay, I'm not sure about the registered users submissions now. I'm sure their is a way to do it, but I've never done something like that.

Also with the "wrote article" area, it's possible to set permissions and make different usernames and passwords for the people that will be writing articles for you. Honestly I've never done that before either, although I know it's possible.

The best place I've found to ask questions is http://forum.textpattern.com/. You'll surely find all of your answers there. Textpattern has a ton of plugins and addons to make it very powerful. Along with that they've got a huge user/support base on the fourms, so someone is always willing to help. Sorry I can't be much more help, I've not got that in depth with it yet to allow people to write different articles.

good luck

Slashdot
05-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Hello.
There are mods for those but the procedure is very lengthy but when i compare them to a CMS like VB or phpBB TP loses badly. it simply isnt that solid.
i guess i need to start searching again lol poor me.

deronsizemore
05-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Textpattern would lose badly to things such as VB or phpBB...both of those are forum software aren't they? Textpattern is a CMS/Blogging software, two completely different things.

I didn't know you were looking for a forum software, so I guess I was way off base from the very first post! Sorry. :)

Slashdot
05-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Hello. no sir you were not wrong. i am not looking for a forum software. i merely compared them in terms of their "code base". those are so much more developed!
But the people at textpattern are very helpful. but even they admit making this whole idea into reality would be very hard work.
lets see where it ends finally. wish me luck :D

deronsizemore
05-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Hello. no sir you were not wrong. i am not looking for a forum software. i merely compared them in terms of their "code base". those are so much more developed!
But the people at textpattern are very helpful. but even they admit making this whole idea into reality would be very hard work.
lets see where it ends finally. wish me luck :D

GOOD LUCK!! Well, there is a saying that goes something like "Nothing worth doing is easy.." or something to that affect.

richardevanslee
06-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Just a ton of articles posted in hierarcial syetms where in specific hierarchy users will provide their inputs.

Movable Type has vanished from many folks minds. But it does have a completely free version.

The templates are easily understood and I've built a fair number of search engine friendly, semantically meanginful sites using it.

I think almost all the more recent CMSs do this just about out of the box. It is only the systems that pre-date Google that have junk URLs as the default.

Richard