PDA

View Full Version : WYSIWYG Editor

izwar
05-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Hello in my site my users can have profiles, and their personal blogs so i think it would be cool if they could atlesat format their text, with bold alighnemnt etc etc basic stuff. My designers are going to charge me extra for it so i said no cuz im broke, but my question is, is this hard to implement myself? do they have premade stuff on hot scripts that i can work with, i just need it for about me section in their profiles and their blogs that is all.

I just recently even learned what a WYSIWYG Editor editor is lol, the buttons you use to format the text with html i guess. thanks guys.

MarkB
05-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Check out tiny_mce - very nice (free) editor.

http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/

It is well-documented, and easy to install. There's also FCKEditor, but I find it clunkier than tiny_mce.

chromate
05-05-2006, 04:56 AM
Sounds like tinymce is more suitable for your needs (I've not used it). But I used FCKEditor for a client's project a couple of months ago and I have to say I'm seriously impressed! It's great.

I started off using Editize. In comparison to FCKEditor, Editize is a complete joke!

MarkB
05-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah, FCK kicks - especially the file/asset manager - but if you just want a simple WYSIWYG editor tiny_mce is better and less bloated, IMO.

Editize, as in Sitepoint's Editize?

chromate
05-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Yep. For starters it takes ages to load being java based. So for quick changes to a small page it's annoying to use. As far as I could tell it also only lets a user select format text according to predefined CSS. So if the user wants complete control you then have to build them something so they can change the site's CSS.

All my client wanted was to be able to simply select a font, font-size and colour. Editize couldn't even do that without additional code.

izwar
05-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Thank you i appreciate it i will look into those options. Thanks.

KelliShaver
05-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Well, it's not free, but it's far better than any free one out there and was well worth the money. http://www.innovastudio.com/editor.asp

Nico
05-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Well, it's not free, but it's far better than any free one out there and was well worth the money. http://www.innovastudio.com/editor.asp
Actually i'll have to disagree with you KelliShaver. I' worked with the editor from Innovastudio and with some of the free ones, and in my opinion FCKEditor is much better...and free.

Nicolas

KelliShaver
05-07-2006, 12:00 PM
REally? I didn't care for FCK at all. Personal preference, I guess.

chromate
05-07-2006, 12:34 PM
what didn't you like about it?

KelliShaver
05-07-2006, 09:14 PM
You know, I don't really remember specifics. It's been so long since I've tried it LOL-- over a year Maybe it's improved since then (or maybe I have). If memory serves, it was a lot larger, and more difficult to mplement for what I was using it for.

izwar
05-12-2006, 08:16 AM
question. If i install the tiny mice thing i know it runs on java so if somoene doesnt have java there not gonna be able to edit their profile?

The New Guy
05-12-2006, 08:45 AM
It run with javascript not java. They are not the same thing.

izwar
05-12-2006, 10:16 AM
o so that means what? does everyone have java and if not what does it display