PDA

View Full Version : Affiliate programs for Mmorpg Reviews website?

vahsi000
04-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Hello everyone, umm, i've just checked my stats and found that i've broken the 3,000 hits mark and i was wondering if i could signup with an afilliate by the time i finish my website (hopefully i'll have some money to fund for a domain name by then), my website is www.elinegames.com , yes it's another mmorpg reviews website, but i enjoy developing and it would be nice if a few dollars can drop from the sky every now and then :D I made a post on a different section of this forum and i've found out that it would be pretty stupid to put on ads without having completed the website, so this isn't about if this website is ready to advertise, this is about what affiliates i should be looking at when it does get ready and what would the traffic conditions need to be, will it be possible to earn 10-20 dollars a month (to buy domain names) with that amount of traffic 3k hits?

Chris
04-28-2006, 07:41 AM
You sure you got 3000 impressions? a very common mistake for beginners is thinking that hits are impressions, when in reality they're simply requests to a web server.

I also cannot think of any really appropriate affiliate programs other than perhaps the freestuff/ win an ipod types to go after your teen audience.

Kyle
04-28-2006, 07:55 AM
vashi-

There is a new push for mmorpg sites because of the competitive after market.

For example, if you search google for "world of warcraft", look at all the advertisements on the right that sell gold.

The company IGE is the largest MMORPG currency provider. They have an affiliate program. http://www.ige.com/affiliate

I'd probably recommend just Google adsense though. I've heard its excellent for this.

vahsi000
04-28-2006, 02:25 PM
wow, thx for sharing that with me icebane ;)

thx ALOT chris for ruining my dreams, lol hahaha, i'm just messing with ya, umm, yea what you said is true about 1k of it is a direct link which i made for a contest at sitepoint forums, but i believe the other 2k is legit but not stable since most of the traffic is coming from the forums!!!

fatnewt
05-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Ugh. IGE. Those people may be a relevant affiliate... but they really hurt the MMORPGs themselves.

Kyle
05-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Ugh. IGE. Those people may be a relevant affiliate... but they really hurt the MMORPGs themselves.

I understand and agree that MMORPGs are hurt by the after market. However, the after market isn't going anywhere. It's what people want. This has been clear since Ultima Online was created, the first real mmorpg in the mid 90's.

Sony has embraced the after market with http://stationexchange.station.sony.com/.

fatnewt
05-11-2006, 04:34 AM
I understand and agree that MMORPGs are hurt by the after market. However, the after market isn't going anywhere. It's what people want.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that it wouldn't make money. It is clearly what some people want.

Sony's approach is interesting, but it's unfortunate that the wealth would be distributed in-game in the same way it's distributed in real life. In other words, people with real money have easier access to in-game money.

Yeah, there's a market. My point was just that it's not an entirely harmless one and that's worth considering. I have lots of FFXI content, but I don't advertise sites that sell Gil, since that practice is highly disruptive to the game.

M@rc
05-12-2006, 04:38 AM
Further to Colin's comments some of the practices offered by the sites you want to affiliate with are contrary to the EULA of the game

vahsi000
05-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Further to Colin's comments some of the practices offered by the sites you want to affiliate with are contrary to the EULA of the game
Who's Colin? I didn't understand what you said!

Also with the IGE ads, does anyone know how much they pay per click? After how much $$$ do they send a check, they have a patpal logo on that site, does that mean they also pay through paypal, i'd sign up for an account for more info but my website isn't ready yet and i don't want to make a fake account coz they might block my ip.

vahsi000
05-20-2006, 01:32 AM
Who's Colin? I didn't understand what you said!

Also with the IGE ads, does anyone know how much they pay per click? After how much $$$ do they send a check, they have a patpal logo on that site, does that mean they also pay through paypal, i'd sign up for an account for more info but my website isn't ready yet and i don't want to make a fake account coz they might block my ip.

Hi guys, sorry for bumping an old topic but I need a bit more info on this topic, also i've launched 2 websites so far but i'm hoping elinegames will be the most successful but it could go either way. I'm also thinking of emailing webmasters to exchange links, but i've never done it before, should i be formal? (like some of these people might be kids/teenagers like me)