PDA

View Full Version : Content Management

s2kinteg916
04-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Go blog ? or create a custom CMS ?

I have an idea for a new site that im passionate about and this requires creating articles and content. I was thinking of developing a CMS to fit my needs but an easier solution would be to use wordpress or some sorta blogging software.

If your running a CMS plus a Blog for me it seems tough to decide which system to input the content in.

What are your thoughts ?

Emancipator
04-24-2006, 09:09 AM
i wrote my own cms in about 2hours, and if you have some coding experience I am sure you can as well. The big pro is you can then have a content system specific to your needs.

Mike
04-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah I'd go for custom CMS. They're not hard at all to make, and as Emancipator said you can make them specific to your site so you can set the limits.

Emancipator
04-24-2006, 01:07 PM
absolutely.... and one you have done one doing the next one just gets easier and easier :)

JasonN
04-28-2006, 11:05 PM
It depends what kind of custom CMS you want. I've spent about 8 of the last 14 months writing a new CMS for my site, and it's not quite complete yet. But it's an extreme example of organizing a lot of complex information. The traditional "articles" section is very robust and good-looking and it took just a few days of that time.

peach
04-29-2006, 07:22 AM
Go blog ? or create a custom CMS ?

I have an idea for a new site that im passionate about and this requires creating articles and content. I was thinking of developing a CMS to fit my needs but an easier solution would be to use wordpress or some sorta blogging software.

If your running a CMS plus a Blog for me it seems tough to decide which system to input the content in.

What are your thoughts ?
I would suggest Joomla if you want an easy to use CMS with a great community behind it and Drupal if you are planning to put 10+ hours into the development of your site. Drupal is pretty skinny out of the box but if you read up on the modules that are available you can create amazing sites with it.

If you are going for a community site that will rely heavily on a forum community I suggest VbDrupal.

Cloughie
04-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Theres a lot of good CMS´s on hotscripts.com

PHPCow for one.

It depends on your needs really, how much you need it to do?

s2kinteg916
04-30-2006, 08:25 AM
All i really need is just basic article and navigation and thats about it...

shim
04-30-2006, 09:36 AM
I just switched over to XOOPS and must admit I am surprised at how versatile it is. It also offers several blog modules you can choose from, even WordPress.

You can take a look at the modules (www.xoops.org/modules/repository/) offered and the general description (www.xoops.org/modules/wfchannel/) of XOOPS.

I am using XOOPS on both sites in my sig.

Do you still run that Scion site? It was coming along nicely.

Emancipator
04-30-2006, 11:02 AM
s2k if you wrote the script in your sig then a cms system would be super simple for you to do in a couple hours. Its how long my latest cms took me.