PDA

View Full Version : Tired of no social interaction -- get a job?

Shawn
04-18-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm thinking of becoming a waiter at one of my favorite restaurants or something similar. Of course, this isn't an act to earn more money -- but to get social interaction. I'm just tired of being home all day.

My wife is at work all day (teacher), we live an hour away from family, and we just have a dog, no kids. I'm alone from 6 AM until 5 PM, usually seeing nobody unless I go out to lunch, to the apartment office complex, or some other kind of errand.

Short of getting a job, what can I do to feel more "involved?"

John
04-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Maybe you should partake in an activity where it would be possible for you to meet new people, go to the gym, play a sport, ect.

Chris
04-18-2006, 04:55 PM
I have roughly the same setup as you, less so since I don't live in an apartment building with a bunch of neighbors, but I don't see the need I guess.

KLB
04-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Lets see. . . one little voice says church, the other voice says bar.... hmm, when I was visiting Jamaica I learned that there was always a bar within a stones throw of a church so one could spend part of the day feeling the spirit and the other part of the day getting one's fill of spirit.

On a serious note, being a waiter can be very stressful. If you don't care about money maybe you could volunteer a few hours a week with a local organization.

Shawn
04-18-2006, 05:51 PM
The gym doesn't help, it's at the apartment. I'm pretty much the only one there. I don't really have the opportunity to play a team sport, not many local gatherings.

It's almost like I want a job now. I want someone to give me an objective. I'd love nothing more than to get hired by Chris or KLB for example (don't know you too much KLB, sorry to call you out) to perform web work, project manage, whatever.

I was just posting about how I outsource most of the work for my own sites now, yet here I am wanting to work for another website publisher or go become a waiter. It makes sense though, right? With that being said, I know that running a business is what I was meant to do. I've always been a leader... I know I'm not tired of running a business, however... I think I'm getting tired of not having enough tasks to complete in a day.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to create more projects. I have new projects urrently underway. I don't need anymore hobbies, I already have one, a great one at that (I collect Gene Wilder/Mel brooks autographs and memorabilia).

Anybody see Forest Gump? I feel like Forest after he comes home back to his old house, after his mother dies and after he becomes a millionaire from Bubba/Gump shrimping and investing with Apple -- he goes back to work cutting the lawn of the local football field because he likes it. Now, I'm not saying I'm that rich by any means, but I'm comfortable where I am and I want to work.

My wife and I were thinking about me selling suits at Men's Warehouse or Belk or Dilliards. Or maybe working for a cell phone company retail shop. I like both of those things.

Emancipator
04-18-2006, 05:58 PM
i go to the gym and EVERY day do coffee with my buddy so i get some social interaction.

Giles
04-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Why not meet up with one of your website publisher buddies and discuss work?

Shawn
04-18-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't know any publishers in the state.

agua
04-18-2006, 06:39 PM
I have a couple of friends who work in construction and also on fishing boats - I help them out when I can for the same reasons you mention Shaun - but I would never take a part or full time job - I wouldn't want to be tied down to an hourly routine which I don't control. This way I get the social interaction at least once a week - but can say no if I need to work on my things - and also get a small wage (not my idea - but nice).

I also have joined local sports clubs and started surfing like a teenager again (well in spirit anyway). You always meet lots of people this way and usually there is a great social scene involved.

I try to go out for coffees when I can also - there are 2 cafes near me both about 3km away - I go down on the bike and its amazing how many people I now know in the cafes and along the way

Every little bit helps :)

KLB
04-18-2006, 06:56 PM
I have a group of three buddies that I go bowling with every Monday night. We have been doing this for well over a year and as a result have started to get to know other regulars. In fact there is another group of four that also bowl every night and we now make sure to get lanes next to each other.

mini
04-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi Shawn,

my bf has similar prob too. Although we live together, I work all day and travel a lot for work therefore sometimes I only see him on weekends. we have a dog too. He joins cricket club, plays indoor and outdoors crickets 3 times a week and go out with his mates on weekend. However he still finds it not enough social interaction and this reduces his productivity.

however, he's getting an office in the city, moving in couple months, he's gonna employ 2 people full time to help him with his work since he's expanding his webpublishing business and also he can meet up with his friends who work in the city for lunch regularly.

michael_gersitz
04-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Maybe you should become a "buff" in something. Not sure excaclty what that means, but you can say that your a "buff" in something.

Hi, I am Shawn, I am a Movie Buff.

Masetek
04-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Ive done this before, I got a part time job at a local pub just to get out a bit. But I got sick of it pretty quickly. And I was working late, so I was sleeping in and not doing as much work during the day. I go to the gym daily, play squash twice a week, poker on fri nght and try to get out for lunch most days with either my GF or someone I know.

KLB
04-18-2006, 08:05 PM
What a pathetic bunch we are. We have "dream" jobs of getting to define our own hours and get to work from home, and take time off when ever we want. This is something our cube farm counterparts dream of and we then look for real jobs so that we can socialize with people.

This is sick people... sick I tell you!

Chris
04-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Heh... why not take a class?

You'll get out, meet people, and learn something new.

There are traditional college classes, but many communities run adult education courses on various artsy or practical things (sculpture, small engine repair, etc).

Sagewing
04-18-2006, 09:23 PM
I do a lot of onsite consulting with clients. I enjoy it - I fly to different cities for a few days at a time, have a bunch of meetings, visit friends around the country, and get a big check a month later.

I only work from home about 50% of the time now - I actually enjoy working with clients. As long as I have TOTAL control over my schedule, I dont mind scheduling meetings or workshops, etc.

Also the frequent flier miles are sweet.

Cutter
04-18-2006, 09:27 PM
How about golf?

I've got a similar problem, but its not too bad. I'm just bored with the things around here; not enough excitement. I'm focusing on my business hard this year, and then I will probably move. Suburban life isn't all its cracked up to be.

AndyH
04-18-2006, 09:31 PM
How about golf?
I'm taking up golf. Problem is everyone that I know who has clubs and will play has tight sheduals between Uni and work.

Is it sad to go play a around by yourself? :(

KLB
04-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Is it sad to go play a around by yourself? :(
That is very sad, you had better find yourself a girlfriend.

r2d2
04-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Perhaps you should look for something that would also benefit your web publishing too - as Chris says, maybe look into taking a class on something.

Could you do a part-time MBA or something?

Hylo
04-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Maybe look at starting a "bricks and mortar" real-world business as well, something that would get you out and about and meeting people and has the potential to make you more for your efforts than minimum wage waiting tables.

Sounds like you need a new challenge.

moonshield
04-19-2006, 06:30 AM
I go to college for this very purpose (social interaction) and I plan on moving downtown within the next month or two - where the action's at.

Living alone in the suburbs without social activity would not be too much fun at all.

Cutter - You plan on moving to Chicago or something? I would likely move to Chicago or NYC if I didn't hate winter so much.

Elvie
04-19-2006, 10:27 AM
You're all quacks ;-)

I'd give just about anything to feel secure enough to give up my day job so I could work at home on my projects all day. I guess the grass is always greener.... My nagging student loan payments keep me working outside of my house just for the security of the regular pay cheque.

Find something social, but a working scene isn't the way to go - conversation with co-workers is way overrated ;-) (Having a boss isn't the greatest either).

Volunteering could be rewarding. The one year I did work at home, I got my two golden retrievers certified as therapy dogs and we visited the local nursing home and hospital twice a week. It was very rewarding, and wasn't overly time consuming (except bathing my dogs all the time).

Cutter
04-19-2006, 11:46 AM
moonshield -- I'm looking for a warmer and/or cheaper place for next winter. Could be in the US, could be international. I've got a few places in mind, I'm hoping to do some travelling over the next few months.

Like you I don't enjoy the winter. Snow is nice, but it seems to me we get one or two weekends of good snow cover in January, and then everything else between October to March is garbage.

Chicago and NYC are really just too expensive. For what you pay to live comfortably in either city, you can live very well elsewhere.

I've got to admit I find this thread kind of amusing. 90% of the employeed people I know seem to strongly dislike their job or hate it. There are "work at home" ads all over TV. Yet I'm convinced most people couldn't handle it.

I really don't have much trouble finding really cool stuff to do, its just a matter of time and money right now. I know if I work hard for the next 3 or 4 years I probably can probably meet my goals.

I wouldn't even dream of taking on another job or volunteer just to kill the time. I see too many people completely filling up their schedules, running around doing anything and everything, and at the end of the day they actually have nothing to say for it. Do you know anyone like this? They live paycheck to paycheck, but are always working, going to school, running errands, volunteering, whatever. Then they cross their fingers and say damn if I could just win the lottery..

KLB
04-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't even dream of taking on another job or volunteer just to kill the time. I see too many people completely filling up their schedules, running around doing anything and everything, and at the end of the day they actually have nothing to say for it. Do you know anyone like this? They live paycheck to paycheck, but are always working, going to school, running errands, volunteering, whatever. Then they cross their fingers and say damn if I could just win the lottery..
Ya I know people like this but I'll have to tell you later. I feel like going bowling right now. :cool:

FPU
04-19-2006, 02:34 PM
I get enough interaction with people just dealing with KLB on WPF :eek:

:banana: :banana:

demosfen
04-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Shawn, just get a girlfriend, preferably Russian :nod:

AndyH
04-19-2006, 04:46 PM
That is very sad, you had better find yourself a girlfriend.
Done :banana:

KLB
04-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Shawn, just get a girlfriend, preferably Russian :nod:
Hey now, my wife is Russian and I think it is safe to say they might take issue with this.

moonshield
04-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Done :banana:

hahaha :D

demosfen
04-19-2006, 05:16 PM
KLB, so is mine, and I thought it's safe to say they wouldn't :confused:

mini
04-19-2006, 07:14 PM
LOL KLB! It is a dream job. My bf been doing it fulltime for almost 3 years but find it hard to get motivated sometimes.

Being a human, we're a social creature. we're also never satisfied or happy with whatever we have. Well, maybe not all people, but me personally, never happy with whatever I have, I want more - more shoppings, more $$, more attentions, more challenges, more sleeps, more holidays, more friends, more LOVE....the list goes on and on.

Love Chris' idea - taking a class def fun and could take away the boredom of working by yourself at home.

mini
04-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Andy H, its not sad to play golf by yourself. It's a sport which is designed to play without anyone having to play with you (unlike other sports, you need at least 1 person to play with you such as squash, tennis, cricket or basketball). it's between you and the golf course :-). I play golf by myself after work if I'm on an interstate work assignment and dont have to bugger the other colleagues to play with me.

Emancipator
04-19-2006, 07:21 PM
i have to admit doing interviews does keep me from spending my entire day at my computer alone. So do a site that involves some social interaction.

deronsizemore
04-19-2006, 08:08 PM
The gym doesn't help, it's at the apartment. I'm pretty much the only one there. I don't really have the opportunity to play a team sport, not many local gatherings.

It's almost like I want a job now. I want someone to give me an objective. I'd love nothing more than to get hired by Chris or KLB for example (don't know you too much KLB, sorry to call you out) to perform web work, project manage, whatever.

I was just posting about how I outsource most of the work for my own sites now, yet here I am wanting to work for another website publisher or go become a waiter. It makes sense though, right? With that being said, I know that running a business is what I was meant to do. I've always been a leader... I know I'm not tired of running a business, however... I think I'm getting tired of not having enough tasks to complete in a day.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to create more projects. I have new projects urrently underway. I don't need anymore hobbies, I already have one, a great one at that (I collect Gene Wilder/Mel brooks autographs and memorabilia).

Anybody see Forest Gump? I feel like Forest after he comes home back to his old house, after his mother dies and after he becomes a millionaire from Bubba/Gump shrimping and investing with Apple -- he goes back to work cutting the lawn of the local football field because he likes it. Now, I'm not saying I'm that rich by any means, but I'm comfortable where I am and I want to work.

My wife and I were thinking about me selling suits at Men's Warehouse or Belk or Dilliards. Or maybe working for a cell phone company retail shop. I like both of those things.

DO NOT work for a cell phone company. I wouldn't with that one anyone, what cell phone sales reps go through. I was one for two years.

chromate
04-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Shawn, I have almost exactly the same problem.

It's not so bad now as I don't spend too much time in the house anyway, but when my girlfriend finishes uni and gets a full time job later this year, she wont be around so much. I've been thinking about getting a job at that time, just so I'm not stuck in the house all day alone. Seems a pretty stupid move though. I'm not sure I could take having another boss again and I'm not sure it would make any sense, unless it was something I was truly interested in :) Thought about doing classic car restoration, or some other skilled work. I think I would probably prefer to do some kind of offline business though rather than be employed by someone else. It would just result in further diversification, which is not a bad thing. Alternatively, I might do some voluntary work. We'll see.

BTW, I suddenly realised just the other day how good Gene Wilder was! Never really appreciated it before.

Vinnie
05-20-2006, 05:18 AM
Go join a softball league or find people to go fishing with, jeez.

You've done the hard part (working wherever the hell you want) and you're complaining about the bit that everyone else finds easy.

Cutter
05-20-2006, 02:01 PM
The thing is that the hard part usually comes at the cost of social interaction. There are a lot of entrepreneurs out there who have lost more than one wife because of their work. I think almost everyone that is really good at something, be it a rock star, actor, artist, all end up seriously neglecting some part of their life. Alone, these things are simple. Balancing them with work is what is extremely difficult.