PDA

View Full Version : Contact forms

Blue Cat Buxton
04-05-2006, 09:42 AM
How important are 'contact us' forms or pages or do they just lead to spam?

On non e-commerce sites is a physical address neccessary or could it be positively benecficial?

Chris
04-05-2006, 10:39 AM
I use them because quite frankly if you don't use them people will just guess for webmaster@ or look up your whois information.

Shawn
04-05-2006, 10:41 AM
I always make my whois information private. Too many crazies.

James
04-05-2006, 03:46 PM
I always use them. I'd also like to see the person's email on the contact page, as well, though--but with the email address as the anchor text; I hate thinking I'm going to a web page, then seeing Outlook pop up.

ramprage
04-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Contact pages are great, if you're getting spam on them then you need to add some smart coding to stop this :)

There are so many robots out there scanning pages now for exploits and spam holes be careful.

Masetek
04-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Definately use them.

- more professional
- dont have to make your email public
- force the user to enter info that you want
- they take about 10 mins to code

Blue Cat Buxton
04-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Would you not put a physical address then, just a form? An address adds 'solidity' if only in perception.

r2d2
04-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I would say a form probably adds more 'solidity' - I think its more professional to have a form, than just putting up the mail address.

ramprage
04-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Any contact page for a business should have everything including email addresses ,contact form, mailing address and a phone number. If it's just a plain jane small site a contact form would be enough depending on what you're doing.

KLB
04-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Any contact page for a business should have everything including email addresses ,contact form, mailing address and a phone number. If it's just a plain jane small site a contact form would be enough depending on what you're doing.

I don't totally agree. I wouldn't publish an email address on ANY website. All it does is attract spammers. A contact form that hides my email addresses is more than sufficent. I do agree that providing a telephone number and mailing address is a good idea.

Besides limiting spam, another advantage of a contact form over straight email address is that it is easier to flag messages coming from a specific website helping to ensure that those messages don't get flagged by spam filters and helps issolate out spam that pretends that they are contacting you via your site but really aren't.

ses5909
04-07-2006, 07:49 PM
You should always provide a way for your visitors to contact you and everyone hates to click on an email address and have outlook start up by default!

ramprage
04-08-2006, 07:13 AM
True KLB - if you want you could setup an autorespnoder to get back to them right away so they have the address instantly regardless after filling out the form. I guess email links are a way of the past! ;)

Giles
04-08-2006, 11:05 PM
I agree, a contact us form is the best idea. Plus, all you need to do is write it once, then just change the email address, or leave it, when you add it to another site.