PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of a more private forum? IE, not spiderable?

Erin
03-26-2006, 09:04 PM
I just made a post that I'd rather not be spiderable (http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5067). Any chance of getting a non-spiderable forum?

Cutter
03-26-2006, 09:50 PM
WebsitePublisher.net supporters forum?

Erin
03-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Whatever. I don't care about the money part, just the public part.

Westech
03-28-2006, 03:55 PM
I think this would be a good idea as well... A forum where only people who had proven some level of honesty and dedication to the community would have access. I know there are a few things I'd like to share with the core group here that I don't want every lurker/imitation publisher in the world to have access to.

I guess the down side would be that it might limit the amount of good posts in the public portions of the forum.

r2d2
03-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I think this was suggested a couple of years ago, but nothing ever came of it.

Here we go: http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2067&highlight=members+forum

Chris is considering it :)

Chris
03-28-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't want to make the image of some elitist club.

Kyle
03-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't think a members only/restricted area is neccessary. I personally can't picture enough examples where this is important.

It's not like we're talking about 5 or 10 members who would have access.. There's probably at least 30 dedicated WP members who would have access. The same things I don't want lurkers to see I sure as hell don't want dedicated, quality webmasters to see.

I'm trying to think of specific examples of posts that you wouldn't want to share with lurkers, but you'd be comfortable sharing with experienced competitive webmasters? Aren't these posts meant to be shared among your close webmaster friends privately?

The only examples I can think of quickly are serious SEO debate, and non-noob programming advice.

I see two sides... public discussion, and private discussion. I don't think there's enough reason to satisfy whats in between private and public with a dedicated members only forum.

Nintendo
03-28-2006, 06:29 PM
I think he just wants a forum where you only have to register to view it, not some elitist club. So even a registered wacko would be able to see it. :D:D

FPU
03-28-2006, 07:54 PM
That's right, but none of that content is spidered at the Underground forum at DP, even though only logged in members can view it ;)

Steelsun
03-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Watch out, if there was a non-spidered private area, you might have a strike or boycott on your hand by some of the unreasonables.

Henny
03-29-2006, 11:38 AM
I think he just wants a forum where you only have to register to view it, not some elitist club. So even a registered wacko would be able to see it. :D:D

They could probably come up with a whacko filter :banana:

Emancipator
03-29-2006, 12:59 PM
As an active member of the FILTER race I am offended by your calling my group whackos and demand a non spiderable private society of whacko free filters. :)

FPU
03-29-2006, 01:38 PM
It is a place where we can cut each other up and curse each other without the public or spiders indexing it.... :goof:

Erin
03-30-2006, 12:03 AM
No, the point is that I'd like a place where my username won't show up, certain questions won't show up, etc.

For example, I can't really ask (or answer) any questions about G/my users/other search engines because eventually, it'll all show up in the SERPs.

I'm just looking for something that won't show up in G two days after I ask it...

r2d2
03-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Why don't you make your own non-spiderable forum?

Erin
03-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Why don't you make your own non-spiderable forum?Actually, I probably will. I've got plans and a good domain name, but no time. But I want to focus on small business, not webmasters.

But it's always good to get more viewpoints, especially of the great people at this forum.

KLB
04-04-2006, 07:22 AM
I do see a down side to a "members only" forum, but I also can see how it could spur discussions that one might not want indexed by various search engines. To prevent the appearance of being elitist, the entire forum could be hidden from non-members just as most of us do for an admin forum in the forums we run.

FPU
04-07-2006, 02:52 PM
You and I need our own private forum KLB :eek: :goof:

peach
04-30-2006, 06:10 AM
if you're a forum webmaster: http://www.bigboardadmin.com