PDA

View Full Version : Odd MSN Occurence

Chris
03-23-2006, 09:47 AM
So I was checking my adsense stats and noticed my survival site already had met it's daily traffic average and it isn't even noon yet.

So I go check some stats... apparently I got 4000 uniques from msn's "wilderness survival" search.

This is odd. I'm number 1 on Google for that term and it gets me a few hundred a day, ditto with "survival" so 4000 from MSN can't be natural. I checked IPs and there was nothing out of the ordinary.

I was checking out MSN.com and noticed at the top of the page they have this "Instant Answer" thing that links to an MSN search result. I was hitting refresh and didn't see linking to "wilderness survival" but I can see such a feature driving the traffic I am receiving.

Also my Google CTR has increased... so the theory of MSN users being mode apt to view & click on ads seems to hold water.

Kyle
03-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Very interesting.

MSN converts better for me than Google when selling retail products through affiliate programs.

Kyle
03-23-2006, 09:57 AM
I found it Chris.

Go to www.msn.com. wilderness survival is highlighted as a popular search.

Just do a CTRL+F in your browser on "surv" to find it.

Here's a screenshot.
http://www.kylewilliams.com/msn.jpg

Shawn
03-23-2006, 10:00 AM
You're featured because of that family that was lost in the wildnerness. Bottom right corner.

That's sweet.

Masetek
03-23-2006, 06:26 PM
That is sweet. The new template for that site looks good too

Chris
03-23-2006, 07:40 PM
So... apparently I was "this close" to having a link from the homepage of MSN....

That would have been some major traffic/PR.

KLB
03-23-2006, 08:12 PM
This sounds like a nice bonus for you today Chris.

I'd love to do something similar and get on the main page of the default Google News.

Chris
03-24-2006, 08:28 AM
in total I got 13,000 uniques from it and an extra $100 through Google ads (haven't checked other ads yet).