PDA

View Full Version : Another Poor YPN Test

Chris
03-22-2006, 07:28 AM
I did another YPN test on my literature site yesterday, the reason being CPM with Google has been low all month.

Yahoo CPM did end up being a little higher in my test, however their default rate was atrocious. They didn't even serve an ad over 60% of the time.

KLB
03-22-2006, 07:43 AM
I think YPN is probably suffering the same growing pains AdSense did a couple of years ago. Basically they still need to build up their pool of advertisers. To do this, they also need to lower the upfront cost of entry to advertising via YPN. I can set up an AdWords campaign with no up front expenses and quickly stop a campaign if I don't like it. This means there is very little risk involved with just trying AdWords out. If I read things correctly one must commit $300 to start an ad campaign with Yahoo.

This really limits the advertiser pool.

BGray
03-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Aren't YPN ads through Overture advertisers? If so, they should have a huge advertiser base and I don't think you need $300 to start a campaign. I haven't used them in a bit but it wasn't that way a few months back. Yahoo needs to get their relevancy together quickly. The way it is now they shouldn't have even gone to beta IMO. If they can't get relevant ads they need to get out or get comfortable in the back seat.

Henny
03-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Aren't YPN ads through Overture advertisers? If so, they should have a huge advertiser base and I don't think you need $300 to start a campaign. I haven't used them in a bit but it wasn't that way a few months back. Yahoo needs to get their relevancy together quickly. The way it is now they shouldn't have even gone to beta IMO. If they can't get relevant ads they need to get out or get comfortable in the back seat.

You are correct, there is no minimum to start an overture/yahoo campaign. Furthermore, overture has MORE advertisers than adwords. This is simply a delivery issue.

KLB
03-22-2006, 10:36 AM
I could have sworn I saw some minium start up fee. Maybe I didn't understand things.

r2d2
03-22-2006, 11:40 AM
I think they had a fee for quick addition to the system? Maybe not but they definitely used to have a minimum monthly spend of $20 or $30, which has now been removed.

fredarn
03-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Overture has a 5 $ minimum start fee to start :)
http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/index.php

Henny
03-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Yes, but that just means that your account has $5.00 at a minimum to deliver ads. There isnt a "Signup Fee"

Erin
03-24-2006, 09:13 PM
That's good information to have. I've been wanting to try it out (I was accepted into the beta), but I kinda can't (see my sig).

john190
03-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Overture has been around alot longer than Adwords so I guess that they would have more advertisers.

You are correct, there is no minimum to start an overture/yahoo campaign. Furthermore, overture has MORE advertisers than adwords. This is simply a delivery issue.

KLB
04-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Overture has been around alot longer than Adwords so I guess that they would have more advertisers.

Not necessarily, Google has great brand recognition which can be a very valuable assest in building an advertiser base.

john190
04-04-2006, 08:52 AM
I had heard back a year or so ago that Overture was the most used ppc search engine/program. Alot of the major sites were using their network to add paid search results to their sites like some of the search engines.