PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird or Outlook....

deronsizemore
03-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Which one is easier on resources? I don't want something that will make everything else I'm running slower. I'm currently using Thunderbird, but I just got a new job which I use Outlook like non stop all day and I'm really liking the features it has.

Sagewing
03-21-2006, 05:17 PM
I guess outlook has a bigger footprint, but anyone who tells you it's not better than Thunderbird overall is just a Microsoft hater! Unless you don't need much functionality, Outlook is amazing..

deronsizemore
03-21-2006, 05:21 PM
I guess outlook has a bigger footprint, but anyone who tells you it's not better than Thunderbird overall is just a Microsoft hater! Unless you don't need much functionality, Outlook is amazing..

Yeah I'm a big fan of Mozilla Firefox and figured Thunderbird was better than Outlook also, but I gotta admit when I'm wrong here...Outlook is very cool

Shawn
03-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Outlook wins hands down.

Sagewing
03-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Yea I like the Firefox + Outlook combo. In my opinion, the whole MS Office suite is superior to anything else out there. Not just because there isn't much competition - they are really great tools. I am hooked on OneNote now, and I keep discovering new features in Outlook. Very handy!

deronsizemore
03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Never even heard of OneNote...I'll have to check that out.

Definitely think I'm going to go with Outlook now! I mostly just love the calendar function...I like the reminders.

dc dalton
03-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Thunderbird ROCKS!

moonshield
03-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Outlook eats Thunderbird for lunch.

CreationNation
03-21-2006, 07:36 PM
I used Outlook for the LONGEST time but got sick and tired of it hogging resources (I run a lot of emails - my outlook file was over a gig). I switched to Thunderbird and like it way more overall. Outlook has the benefit of a built in task manager, calendar, etc. but I don't think Thunderbird will be too far behind that (I hope!).

So, for ME, Thunderbird for using less resources.

Sagewing
03-21-2006, 09:00 PM
If you use the archiving feature properly, it's easy to keep the file sizes down. I actually like gigantic files because they include all my mail, attachments, tasks, calendar, notes, & journal. For me, a big file is no big deal and the benefits are huge.

Thunderbird is nice, but not enough features.

Masetek
03-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Outlooks is probably the better of the two, but Thunderbird does everything you need and nothing you dont. And it's free and open source.

Mullen
03-22-2006, 01:17 AM
I've never used Outlook so I can't comment, but Thunderbird does exactly what I want it to do so I'm happy with it.

James
03-22-2006, 01:38 AM
I don't like viruses.
Thunderbird.

Blue Cat Buxton
03-22-2006, 02:48 AM
Outlook for me, but mostly because of the other features (calenar, tasks etc)

I have just moved to Outlook 2003 on one PC and that has some great new features over the older versions I have used before.

ses5909
03-22-2006, 08:17 AM
I like firefox and outlook as well. Outlook just has everything I need in it. 2003 is awesome.

moonshield
03-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Well, I say outlook is the best but since I am using Linux right now (until Vista comes out), I'm using Evolution and it does a good job.

tonyjk3
03-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Thunderbird is ok, but it needs alot of work. Outlook is far more developed. Thunderbird is great fo r personal use, like replacing Outlook Express, but when it comes to business - or even someone who deals with alot of email and multiple address - Outlook is the best option.

Mullen
03-26-2006, 04:46 AM
Thunderbird is ok, but it needs alot of work. Outlook is far more developed.

Exactly, I don't think we should be comparing the two, they're both very different programs. I think it would be better to compare Thunderbird and Outlook Express.

TheOriginalH
03-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Well, I say outlook is the best but since I am using Linux right now (until Vista comes out), I'm using Evolution and it does a good job.

Was just about to mention Evolution (http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/) - then hit the second page...

Advantage is its a lot cheaper than Outlook (free), and provides much the same funtionality with arguably better security. Disadvantage (if you're a Windows user) is that it's Linux/Gnome based, and that the "look" is very much an office 97 clone.

platinum
03-26-2006, 05:12 PM
We tried to swap to thunderbird at the office, but it just doesn't do enough - outlook is far better (we swapped back a week later).

Erin
03-26-2006, 06:54 PM
I've tried using Thunderbird, but Outlook has the edge because it has a lot more features.

I'm currently beta-testing Google's hosted email service (for my domain), so I'm less reliant on Outlook now. But before I was using Google's hosted email service, I used the Cloudmark spam-filter (which is great). This tool was so important that I couldn't use Thunderbird, since Thunderbird wasn't supported. (My info@ email address gets hundreds of spams a day.)

Mal
03-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Over the years I have gone from YAM (Amiga) to Eudora to Outlook Express to Thunderbird. The jump from Amiga to PC all those years ago was a big step backwards in terms of email clients, Thunderbird is probably the closest thing to YAM and therefore my favourite.

I tried Outlook just before switching from Outlook Express to Thunderbird but hated it, too clucky and too much built in. You don't need a personal information manager built into an email client by default - that's what extensions and plug-ins are for.

Grant29
03-27-2006, 12:20 PM
I just switched from Outlook to Thunderbird. I'm not sure if I didn't have it setup correctly, but I like how Thunderbird handles mulitple email accounts better than Outlook. I like the junk/spam filters in Thunderbird too.