PDA

View Full Version : I need to vent!

Jon
03-19-2006, 10:47 PM
I am so sick of coming across these one page sales page "letters" selling some magic ebook. It's like watching an infomercial late at night with some dweeb selling his "system" (which is always like 10 tapes and books of crap) and then he goes on to interview his "students" who look like homeless people with no formal education (probably hand picked on purpose) to talk about how much money they just made.

You know what I really love about all of this, it's the fact that if you really do have a system, why in the hell would you sell it for "3 easy payments of just $39.95"?!!?!? I mean seriously, I have a bunch of systems that work quite damn well for me, and there is no way in hell I'd sell out for that little. Not unless I know that at least 1 million people will be buying it, and even then, that's going after the quick short buck, which I'm not such a fan of.

How can anyone trust these total frauds who look like their set designers are blind? With their clashing ties and shirts, auuughh!!

There needs to be a new law passed called the USE YOUR COMMON SENSE law. Do you really think some dolt named Randy (who has a mullet) from the south will be able to teach you to make millions of dollars for under $200????? There must be a lot of people taking stupid pills to keep fueling this fraudulent industry.

I also hate those sales pages. Now, I know some of them work really well for realistic products, and they create a real sense of urgency, but why do you feel the need to put some dumb audio stream on it about how you are going to make me rich if I buy your dumb book. And why haven't I ever heard of you before this stupid page? Do you have any REAL references from people not involved in your bogus system? How come I know of NO ONE that has ever really made money from these "systems"??? I mean seriously, I know more people who have tried and failed in MLM or even selling drugs.. but never heard of ONE person admitting they tried and failed with one of these get rich quick systems..

Alright, I think I'm done for tonight.. phew. I'll buy anyone a beer* who made it down to the bottom and was actually bored enough to read my rant.

*Beer can be claimed at a webmaster or industry related event that I attend in person. I will not paypal you a beer or money for one.

FPU
03-19-2006, 10:50 PM
The guy getting rich is the one selling you the get rich quick scheme, there is some truth to the message, he is getting rich quick off of people that want to get rich quick, it is an old con game that has gone on for generations!

Jon
03-19-2006, 11:00 PM
The guy getting rich is the one selling you the get rich quick scheme, there is some truth to the message, he is getting rich quick off of people that want to get rich quick, it is an old con game that has gone on for generations!

Oh I know, and I'm not debating that. But for something that everyone knows is a con, why do they say "well it does sound realistic..." and then poof, they are out a few hundred bucks (sometimes a lot more), and then they are shocked!

Masetek
03-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Oh I hate those sales/letter pages!! I am trying to sell eBooks that are actually quality, and when the visitor clicks off my professionally designed and reputable website they hit one of these pages that begins with "dear friend".

What the hell is it with Dear Friend anyways??!! I'm not your friend, I don't even know you! You want me to be your friend so I'll buy your ebook!! Argh!

Why do they keep doing it? Pretty much all the eBooks I am selling have these pages!

Surely they could do much better sales wise with a well designed, less BS site.

/rant

Jon
03-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Oh I hate those sales/letter pages!! I am trying to sell eBooks that are actually quality, and when the visitor clicks off my professionally designed and reputable website they hit one of these pages that begins with "dear friend".

What the hell is it with Dear Friend anyways??!! I'm not your friend, I don't even know you! You want me to be your friend so I'll buy your ebook!! Argh!

Why do they keep doing it? Pretty much all the eBooks I am selling have these pages!

Surely they could do much better sales wise with a well designed, less BS site.

/rant

See! I feel your pain. I don't sell ebooks though, but I know what you mean with the "dear friend" crap. Doesn't it feel good to vent? :thumbs_up

James
03-19-2006, 11:55 PM
What the hell is it with Dear Friend anyways??!! I'm not your friend, I don't even know you! You want me to be your friend so I'll buy your ebook!! Argh!Oh my god...I now realize why they never showed up to my dinner parties! Thank you kind sir, in helping me see the light.

I never come across these websites; where are you guys finding them? I've not seen one in over a year.

Cutter
03-20-2006, 12:20 AM
James, just go over to clickbank, its a land flowing with milk and honey for those looking to read sales letters.

MrGeeK
03-20-2006, 02:14 AM
well their after .xxx again, maybe we could submit .stupid for stupid people?

James
03-20-2006, 03:47 AM
.stupid's too long. .dum would be better. Especially cause truly dumb (not vocally challenged) people wouldn't get the joke.

Shawn
03-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Why does he have to be from the South? Pft.

He's probably one of those fast-talking city slickers from NYC ;p

chromate
03-20-2006, 05:23 AM
lol. Good rant Jon :) There are a few good marketing ebooks out there though, so I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush. But I agree, most of them are a complete waste of space, along with most of the other stuff on ClickBank.

Funny thing is, I used to spend a fair bit of time reading through various clickbank forums. It's amazing (not!) how many so called "marketing gurus", selling their "Learn to Make Thousands in Just 7 Days" ebooks, ask for the most basic marketing help!

Those sales letters are annoying, but they're used a lot because they work - and extremely well if done right. But again, most of them are worthless.

moonshield
03-20-2006, 08:34 AM

LOL

Chris
03-20-2006, 09:28 AM
lol. Good rant Jon :) There are a few good marketing ebooks out there though, so I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush. But I agree, most of them are a complete waste of space, along with most of the other stuff on ClickBank.

Funny thing is, I used to spend a fair bit of time reading through various clickbank forums. It's amazing (not!) how many so called "marketing gurus", selling their "Learn to Make Thousands in Just 7 Days" ebooks, to ask for the most basic marketing help!

Those sales letters are annoying, but they're used a lot because they work - and extremely well if done right. But again, most of them are worthless.
Kinda like when someone asks a very basic SEO question and you look down in their signature and see they're selling "professional" seo services.

Jon
03-20-2006, 10:07 AM

Well first you need to understand that there is a common law in NYC where, if you are anywhere south of NYC itself, you are considered a hick/redneck, and no matter where you live, it's also considered "the south". We don't call anyone "city slickers" either, in fact, that's usually how you can tell someone is a tourist. Well, that and because they choose to wear black socks with their khaki shorts, and almost always wear a NEW YORK tshirt -- thanks guys, we know where we are, and we know that you've just visited Chinatown/Canal St.

mini
03-20-2006, 09:32 PM
hmm...lets think it this way. There're a lot of idiots out in this world. Why not capitalise on them ;-) ? Thought of this while I drive everyday to work :-)

cyanide
03-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Kinda like when someone asks a very basic SEO question and you look down in their signature and see they're selling "professional" seo services.
LOL :D

That looks familiar

And, yeah, I hate those websites also. I always wonder if they actually make any money

James
03-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Mostly not, but one or two actually earn money like a bugger.

The ones that actually earn are the ones where the person's actually not just selling it in the hopes of making themselves rich, but rather actually have a background in earning money and for some reason choose to make the page like that.

rento_himself
03-24-2006, 09:31 AM
unethical + cash ? *dejavu

g1c9
04-11-2006, 09:23 AM
I once bought an ebook, it was good. Great, actually.

EDIT: Using the methods I made all my money back and more.

JasonN
04-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I can't stand those sales pages either. And this crap drives me up the wall!!! <--supposed to be highlighted but that bbcode isn't doing its thing

It's interesting how different dev communities react to this kind of fraud. This one seems to have the highest standards, and SitePoint and DigitalPoint are pretty good too. At the low end of the spectrum you've got WarriorForum, where it seems like 90% of the discussions are about which churn & burn splogging software to buy from one of those irritating sales pages.

chromate
04-27-2006, 01:23 PM
WarriorForum is a really odd place! There is some interesting info there. But it does seem mostly full of people trying to sell eachother ebooks on how to make money. Last thing I remember reading there was something about a butterfly marketing <shrug>.

dc dalton
04-27-2006, 04:24 PM
This crap has been aroudn as long as there have been suckers to fall for it .... people like Dave Deldotto with his amazing real estate "no money down" was my favorite. He showed himself in million dollar homes, with yachts etc but he was on TV sweating his butt off trying to sell you his kit for $200 ( I think it was) .... just like you said "if he has so much money why does he work to tell every one?"

WHY, because there are millions of suckers with NO common sense who are stupid enough to buy it.

Emancipator
04-27-2006, 05:02 PM
lol amen dalton